L
New user

New user

• 

8 Messages

Monday, September 12th, 2022 3:41 AM

Tip for how much to charge during stops on road trips (how many kWh)

To avoid charging for longer than needed at interim stops on a road trip I do the following:-
1. First thing when I stop at the charging location - plug in and start charging.
2. Then enter next planned charging stop as the destination in Navigation app.
3. Open the Energy app and go to the second tab which displays Trip energy graph - actual SOC% on left of graph and prediction of what SOC% will be at destination on the right of graph.
4. Make sure people who may need to charge can contact me (I use Need To Charge app and sign, as well as PlugShare check-in).  Make sure my EV's app will notify me when my charging is complete or interrupted.  Make sure volume for mobile notifications is up so I will hear it.
5. Go and do human comfort things (toilet, wash hands, eat, stretch legs).
6. Monitor the Trip Energy graph - and when it predicts that car will have 20% SOC at the next charging destination, I terminate the charging session and unplug and move vehicle out of the charging space.

I've found that
(a) during a stop for humans and for charging the humans often take longer than the car (using 50kW DC chargers)
(b) during a long highway trip the humans need more frequent stops than the car does (stopping according to driver reviver advice)
(c) it takes less time overall during the road trip to have more charging stops that go up to a middling SOC than to have fewer charging stops that go up to a high SOC.

Accepted Solution

New user

• 

27 Messages

2 years ago

You could also create a profile for yourself on the website, or app - 
abetterrouteplanner

Plug in your preferences, and then your intended fun stops and destination, and it'll plan it all for you.

Enjoy!

(edited)