G
New user

New user

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, March 22nd, 2023 7:58 PM

Tesla charging for non-Teslas

I recently went to Narooma from Sydney to meet some mates, and took the opportunity to charge at the Tesla charging station. Tesla have recently advertised that non Tesla users can charge from some of their stations. Narooma is one of them.

I downloaded the app, and plugged my MG ZS into each of the 4 stations. None of them would talk to my car.

Is this a problem with just MGs, or what?

Note that the cost ($0.89 per kWh) is about equivalent to using petrol, but if you're desperate.....

Gonzo

New user

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

Was there any error message or information offered through the app or in the car?  I see a check in on Plugshare that notes lack of success charging an MG at Narooma superchargers. 

New user

• 

7 Messages

Yeah, that was me. Failure to communicate was the message or something similar.

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

Hey @gonzoB our team have reached out to both Tesla and MG to see if they could help troubleshoot this further, but MG are after some more information about your experience. With your permission, we'd be happy to pass on your contact details to MG so that they can work out what happened here? If you can send through an email with your details to us via: social@mynrma.com.au we'll be able to pass this onto MG. 

EV community admin

New user

• 

49 Messages

1 year ago

@gonzoB The Tesla Superchargers at Hollydene Estate Wines in the Hunter Valley are also open to all cars with CCS2. I've successfully charged my Polestar 2 there on a couple of occasions and I can see from the Plugshare app, that MG's have also had successful charging sessions.
That said, I have seen comments suggesting that some of the stalls would not initiate, but when moved to a different stall, were able to charge.
Maybe some teething issues to sort out, but all in all, I think it's going reasonably well.

New user

• 

7 Messages

@Mal_P2

Hi Mal. OK, so as you say it's probably teething problems. I see a number of other EV brands have been successful at Narooma. I've sent my details to Paul above.

Gonzo

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

@gonzoB​ apologies for the delay. We’ve reached out to MG on your behalf with the information you’ve shared about your experience and their team have provided the following information: 

As with the CCS charging communication protocol, it is subjected to signal noise interference on the communication line and in some cases the EV may fail to communicate with the charging station. This can occur, if the noise level is above certain threshold.

Another possible cause of the issue could be a poor connection of the charger station connector to your EV, which would provide the error message you’ve mentioned. This can sometimes occur at public charging station where the connectors are exposed to the weather.

Since the Tesla superchargers were opened to the public recently, we have not got the chance to perform verification with Tesla supercharger yet, but in  the coming weeks we will conduct some testing with the Tesla supercharger and look for any compatibility issues.

EV community admin

New user

• 

7 Messages

Hi all.

Tried the Tesla chargers at Hollydene Estate, Jerrys Plains yesterday. Wouldn't charge. The message on the app was "No car detected, plug in to charge".

I was already plugged in. I unplugged and tried again. The car locked the port. The charger made some clicks, and the car unlocked the port. A couple of minutes later the "no car" message appeared. The car charges fine at every other charging station.

I've seen other MG ZS checkins  at this charger, so I'm thinking maybe the car's software needs upgrading - maybe Tesla only communicates with the latest version???

Gonzo

New user

• 

49 Messages

@gonzoB​ I've successfully charged my Polestar 2 at Hollydene on 4 occasions since it opened up. A guy I know with the same car as me, tried every stall there a day after my first charge and was unsuccessful.

From discussions with MG owners and my observations, it appears that some MG's can be a bit hit & miss with Tesla chargers including AC destination chargers that have been opened to charge all cars.

A guy who owns a Tesla, MG & Atto 3 once told me that some MG's have an issue with the the communication pins not making good contact in the charge port on the car, so it may be more of a hardware issue than software.
The owners of that Estate are really nice people. If you report the issue with them, they will make Tesla  aware of it. Also, make sure you try different charging stalls. I've seen some checkins where changing to a different stall has resulted in a successful charge.
I know some MG's have not been able to charge at Hollydene, but also there are plenty that have.

Hope you have better luck next time as it's a great place for a charge and a meal/coffee.