A
New user

New user

• 

23 Messages

Monday, September 26th, 2022 8:03 AM

Setting your cable to unlock when charging finishes

If you are going to leave your car while it is charging, it's important to note when it is going to finish, and get back there in time. However, you might end up being delayed. My vehicle has the facility to set the cable to unlock once charging is finished, even if the car remains locked. I set this as a default whenever I am using a public charger. This means that once my car has reached the level I set (mostly 80% - and that is also set as a default in-vehicle) another person can detach the cable if I am not back in time, and if the cable is long enough, start charging their own car (best to pop it back into the charger first).  I don't know whether all EVs have this. I would also advise against using it with a BYO cable, for obvious reasons. 

New user

• 

27 Messages

2 years ago

That's very handy. Not all EV's can do this - I only have experience with the '22 Model 3. It will only automatically release the lock on the cable if the user-set charge limit has been set, and the car is occupied/unlocked. 

If the owner/operator is away, they will receive a notification on their handheld device that "charging is complete" and have the option to unlock the charge port. Once the port is unlocked, it will re-lock in a short period. Plugshare communication is vital!

New user

• 

23 Messages

@A_Tesla_in_Newcastle​ Thank you - I did wonder what the situation was with Teslas (mine is a Kona 22 model).  I tried to remove a cable from one the other day (after waiting 10 mins after the charger had stopped), and of course could not do so. Now I know why!