C
New user

New user

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, March 26th, 2023 9:07 PM

New England area CCS chargers

Planning a trip to Armidale next school holidays in the new EV.
Looks like there is only one CCS charger in Armidale? NRMA.
Most options are old Telsa  proprietary J1772.
Is it worth getting an adapter for slow charging?
It looks like a new NRMA charger is nearing completion at Walcha, en route for me.
The NRMA app says online Q1 2023 - anyone know if that looks nearly done.

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

1 year ago

Hello @Congdon Thanks for being part of the community. Unfortunately the target date for Walcha has been pushed back to launch July 2023 as the site has not been built. We are in the process of updating our map, but apologise this is not ready as yet. 

New user

• 

5 Messages

I completed the journey from Newcastle to Armidale via the Bucketts and Thunderbolts way.

ABRP suggested we'd arrive with 15%, we arrived with 23% (100km).

Those roads were bad in places with much repair work going on.

Still well worth the effort.

It's a 1000m climb and very steep in places.

We were inspired by the recent Open Road article.

The Armidale charger was certainly a popular spot!

I used it four times over the course of a few days and only had to wait once for 10mins.

Nice to find out on the way back via Waterfall way that the consumption meter only goes down to zero, refuses to go negative, as we regened all that energy.

The Walcha charger will certainly make this journey less stressful but I did find out there is a plug available near the toilets in Stroud which didn't appear on any maps I looked at but was in use by an MG while I was there.

Thanks and great job NRMA.

New user

• 

1 Message

Hi @Congdon 

what vehicle did you do this trip in? I’m wondering if I could make it in my 2022 Model 3 RWD.

New user

• 

5 Messages

EV6 RWD. WLTP range a little over 500km.

I'm not as familiar with the Tesla range but I'd be surprised if you couldn't make it.

I vacated the NRMA Armidale charger early for a Tesla driver who was down to 3%!

No Tesla chargers there either.

What I was surprised about was how good the EV6 suspension is. Much of the Bucketts and Thunderbolts was was extremely rough and I think that might be more challenging for a Tesla.

I was also surprised at how easily the EV6 handled 50km of dirt roads and the more sporty, windy, trip down the Waterfall way. I loved the car before but I was seriously impressed after.

Only one way to find out if you can do it...

Bronze user

• 

82 Messages

Congdon wrote:  ... the consumption meter only goes down to zero, refuses to go negative, as we regened all that energy.

Was that when using cruise control?

Our eDeliver 7 only goes down to zero when in cruise control, but otherwise goes to -30kW (hard against the stop) on steep downhill roads.

(edited)