T
New user

New user

• 

2 Messages

Monday, October 10th, 2022 12:29 AM

Kia EV6 ULTRA RAPID CHARGING

Initially I had a problem charging my Kia EV6 at an Ultra Rapid Charger. The charging cable is so heavy that it was not connecting properly with the car. The solution is to support the cable initially until it starts charging then you can let go and it works fine.

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

2 years ago

This is common with many non-Tesla EVs. Some cars will lock the charge cable immediately upon it being inserted. Others will lock the charge cable as charging begins. In countries with three phase power we use Type 2 cables which have a mechanical lock the car engages. In countries with split-phase power they use J1772 cables that have a lock clip on the outside. The latter can't possibly have this problem by design. Someday the EU will demand software updates to ensure the cables lock first time every time. Assuming absurdly overpowered chargers take off there too. But unless your car has over the air software updates, it may never be fixed in existing cars.

New user

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

question - I have ordered a Kia Niro EV with a stated range of 440k. That presumes that it is mainly city driving. What would be it's range on a highway drive?

Peter

New user

• 

2 Messages

@peterl​ that range will be dependent on your speed and any other things going on ie air con, radio etc. If you push it speed wise the range is not as good as taking it easier. You may be getting about 360 to 370 in reality. 

Community support

• 

25 Messages

Hey Peter, the NRMA recently purchased a Kia Niro EV as well. A few of our staff have taken it out for a spin and found the range to be more than adequate on the highway. 

It was mentioned that when on the highway, you can help extend the range by putting the car in eco-mode, utilising features like regenerative breaking and being conscious of features that may cause extra drain on the battery, like the AC. 

All-in-all, it's been a fantastic addition to our fleet!

P.s. The Open Road also reviewed the 2021 model if you wanted some further insight 

Hope this helps! 

Maddie

(edited)

EV community admin

New user

• 

1 Message

@peterl​ That probably means 100% to 0% battery use.  However 90% is a common max  recharge ( the last 10% takes forever ).  I don't go below about 20% before the next recharge destination - to leave a reserve for a traffic hold up or the destination charger NOT working.  Practically , I regard 70% of the "stated range" as the "real range".  

New user

• 

2 Messages

are the nrma chargers universal or does Tesla have their own chargers???

New user

• 

10 Messages

@peterl​ The NRMA chargers have CCS2 and CHAdeMO connectors, which are the two standards for DC charging found on vehicles sold in Australia (with CCS2 being by far the most common).

Tesla Model 3 and Model Y sold in Australia use CCS2 connectors so they can connect directly to the NRMA chargers.