F
New user

New user

• 

11 Messages

Thursday, October 20th, 2022 5:53 AM

Is finding public EV charge station easy? Or like ‘Where’s Wally?’

Interstate travel the trick is to research and plan your pit stops for recharging the EV battery. Hopefully you have checked the relevant app or contacted the provider to ensure the charger is working before arriving and have the right connectors (if needed).  It helps to have plan B to charge at different location so you don’t get stuck on the road with no charge. I map out my locations of available chargers on route and depending on time/weather factors will select the best option for charge stops to ensure that I get to my destination with plenty of charge.

Finding a public charger in new location or place while travelling is like playing a game of “Where’s Wally”.  I have discovered that if a charger is attached to a shopping mall, the chargers are can be located in the underground, 2nd level or top floor of car park, yet the apps never tell you this helpful piece of information.  Hence you end up driving around looking for the charger hopefully not on 1% battery charge. Plugshare has reviews and photographs of charger locations yet info can become out dated.  Chargefox app includes photos and live status of charger that can be helpful. Evie app, Nextcharge app and EV charge station app show location, connectors and costs yet not widely used to provide user reviews and photographs. Jolt only has info about their chargers around Sydney. It would be really helpful to have one map with all charging stations.  Google maps is improving yet does not list them all.

Locating charge stations via logos of NRMA, Chargefox and Telsa can be used to identify the location of the charger. However, I must admit theft Tesla chargers are more plentiful and far easier to find because of the coordination of the app and inbuilt car screen locator. The Telsa program also preconditions the battery for rapid charging and determines how much charge you have left to reach your next charge destination. Hopefully NRMA release app with ping destination, photos and live info on the current usage (ie in use/available)and status of charger (ie working, in repair) also estimated time when charger will be available if currently in use. Hopefully more chargers will reduce wait times to recharge.

Some hotels/motels are adding electric chargers and offering free limited or overnight charging as part of stay.  However motels tend to be the more upmarket places. Airbnb sometimes advertise if a place has a home charger, yet EVs should be able to charge with normal plug.  Tend to look out for three phase electricity as it will charge faster than single phase if a short trip is intended.

New user

• 

40 Messages

2 years ago

Great summary. Plugshare web tends to have more explicit detail on the location than the app. It would be really nice if it always said "Basement level 1" or whatever. It took me ages to find the one at Dapto the other day. When I stopped, I found out that the web version was quite detailed, but not so on my head unit :-(

Note that type 2 three phase is only supported on some cars. The Ioniq 2020, for example, is limited to 7kW single phase (the Ioniq 5 is 11kW, I believe).

New user

• 

23 Messages

2 years ago

I've found Plugshare the most convenient app to see what is available, and find the photos helpful as well. Often users will comment on specifics about the location (you might have to scroll to earliest entries). I'm really glad it exists because the Hyundai Kona Electric built-in info is ridiculously out of date. 

New user

• 

40 Messages

@Adrienne​ not just out of date - wrong. It marks stations as DC when they're just a type 2 low speed, etc. I only use it to recognise home and set scheduled charging for that location.

New user

• 

27 Messages

@gordonr​ You can always correct it by charging ahead and logging onto openchargemap to make the update. Handy if you have first-hand knowledge of the corrections necessary.

https://openchargemap.org/site

(edited)

New user

• 

40 Messages

Ah, I hadn't looked to see where Hyundai gets their data. Looks like I have a new hobby :-)

New user

• 

40 Messages

It looks like a number of the incorrect ones are not on openchargemap. I wonder where they are coming from? Thanks for the pointer.

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

Hey @Adrienne. Do you find that Plugshare is your main app to help locate chargers? We also use Plugshare to list our charger locations and also provide updates for outages as it seems to be widely used amongst EV owners. 

EV community admin

New user

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Yes, with apps like Plug share, finding the Ev charging sites is relatively easy, though some sites within shopping centre car parks and the like can be difficult to find in the actual car park. 
Usually, people will leave comments for each charger location if the actual chargers are a bit harder to find, with images and directions. 
Some cars navigations systems are better than others when it comes to finding locations. and google Maps themselves now list EV charging locations.  Accommodation sites like Stayz and other now have EV charging in their search filters, to find accommodation that allows EV charging.  this helps a lot when travelling. 

New user

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

It'd certainly make it easier if they put a couple of signs in the larger carparks, directing you towards the charging station.