H

Friday, March 1st, 2024 5:26 PM

How do I charge my EV without the NRMA App?

As a visitor from the the UK, my phone is registered to the UK APP Stores, and the NRMA app is only available if I'm assigned to the Australian App Store.

It looks like I cannot change the App Store without buying a new phone.

Other EV networks allow me to sign up in advance, and even post EV Charge cards to the UK so that I am prepared.

However, it looks like the ONLY way I can drive my route, is if I use NRMA chargers.

Are there any ideas about whether I can simply:
- use a credit card?

- request an RFID card?

- use another app to pay for NRMA chargers?

Any other suggestion are welcome.

Thanks

New user

• 

2 Messages

7 months ago

Get a local SIM card say Aldi use local app

3 Messages

Thank you for replying, however unfortunately it is not the SIM card, but the Apply Store / Google Play Id that is locked to a region.

To switch region, I would have to

- use up all outstanding credit on the account

- cancel all app subcriptions

- cancel all video streaming subscriptions

- delete all region specific music / videos / apps

- change my account's region

- re-install all the apps (However doing so will then require a billing address in that region, which I don't have)

Even if I had a new phone, and even though the NRMA app is free, I would still need a billing address in the region to "validate my account" before paying the £0 for the app.

New user

• 

2 Messages

Get a cheap second phone and sim use separately surely a way around problem 

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

7 months ago

Hello @hellisafish , thanks for joining our EV community. We're sorry that your trip cannot be made possible unless using the NRMA network. Unfortunately the app is the only way for right now and we understand changing regions on your device is not a suitable option forward. 

We are currently trialling roaming which will allow Chargefox app or RFID cards to be used but that is likely to be a few months away. Credit card terminals are also being worked on for all new charge sites and will look at retrofitting our existing sites, but this would most likely aim to be live mid-year so we can ensure we have suitable devices for difference chargers in our network. 

It is something we're looking at, but I'm sorry this does not solve the immediacy for any current road trips. Hopefully this does give some insights on what we are doing.