G
New user

New user

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, March 21st, 2023 7:20 AM

GR

Greetings…just joined group. Have a Mercedes GLC300e phev. Have never managed to work out what would be needed by way of an adaptor to use at a public charging station so only ever charged at a home power point. Vehicle regularly gives me 45 kms which often sufficesfor months on end, for our mostly short trips. On the occasional longer journey, say 200 kms I’ll get about 120 kms on battery which is pretty good but it would be handy to be able to charge up for the return journey. I tried to use an NRMA station once but the plugs available didn’t seem to be right for the Type 2 Euro socket in the Merc and I wasn’t game to try for fear of doing damage. I did try calling NRMA and Chargefox to ask what was needed but neither could answer and although promised, never came back to me. The Merc dealership was equally unhelpful. It’s not that big a deal for me as 90% of the time plugging in at home is fine but just thought someone out there might have the right solution. 

Official Solution

Community support

• 

44 Messages

2 years ago

Hi @GLR - it's great to have you as part of the group. Thanks for sharing your experience. You are the first GLC300e PHEV owner I've spoken to! Do you enjoy the car?

Most PHEVs sold in Australia cannot use the NRMA fast chargers; most PHEVs have a "Type 2" AC charging port only. This includes your Mercedes. You can use AC chargers, which are often free and found in shopping centre car parks or the ones NRMA has just installed at he ICC in Darling Harbour. Over time, NRMA expects to deploy more AC charging either in public access locations and/or other NRMA Group locations such as at our NRMA Parks & Resorts

The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is an exception as it comes equipped with a "CHAdeMO" fast charging port also. Whereas most BEVs (Battery Electric Vehicles - considered to be an ‘all-electric’ or ‘full-electric’ car) sold in Australia come equipped with a "CCS" fast charging port (except the Japanese BEVs that still use CHAdeMO). NRMA fast chargers have both CCS and CHAdeMO plugs available.

In researching this topic to answer your question, it's apparent that it's quite complicated so I'm going to work with our team to create some advisory content to share online. Let me know if there's anything else you think we should cover here?

Thanks again for joining the EV Community!  
Dan

(edited)

New user

• 

2 Messages

@Dan Alex​ Thanks so much for your response Dan - the first definitive answer in almost 3 years! Sounds like I’ll be continuing with AC charging at home or the occasional cadge from somewhere. Re the GLC300e, it’s a superb vehicle, very refined but a rocket in either electric or petrol modes. We live 11 km outside Bathurst and being of an age, nipping in and out to town is often all that we do, sometimes for weeks on end. Under that scenario we always have plenty of battery power and we only need to plug in for a few hours to top up, so it works brilliantly for us. By the sound of it we’ll be living with the current situation for quite a while and frankly, the regenerative performance is so good that we’d probably find it’s not worth the time and effort to go searching for a public charger. Thanks again for your advice. GLR