EViking's profile
New user

New user

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, September 10th, 2022 4:32 AM

Failed Charging?

I have encountered failed charging several times at the NRMA chargers.

The car has been left to charge and owner has gone away but there is a charging error and the car is not charging, so when the owner comes back the car still needs charging.

Most common reason is the person forgot to press the START button on the charger.

The charging does not automatically start just because you insert the plug into the charging socket.

Second is a communication error with the car which can usually be resolved by unplugging the car, replacing the charging plug into the charger and then reconnecting to the car. At times I have had to repeat this 3 times before charging commences successfully.

To avoid accidental failed charging, always check the car charging screen before walking away and confirm the charging has actually commenced and kW are being transferred to your car. I usually wait until 1% increase has occurred.

If you have a mobile app that monitors your car charging check it a few times whilst away. Sometimes the charging just stops for no obvious reason and the sooner you notice it and return to your car the less time you waste for yourself and others.

Final Tip: Always check-in with PlugShare app on your phone, so you can be contacted by those waiting if your car is no longer charging.

Please add to comments if you have additional useful tips.

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

2 years ago

Hi EViking........agree with what you've said, have come across cars not charging due to error & owner not there. I've had issues at some chargers that are down inside building carparks where I couldn't get proper connectivity with ph app monitoring due to poor reception when I've gone outside the building whilst waiting for charging.

On another matter....... are you related to The Electric Viking the legend EV YouTuber?