B
Bronze user

Bronze user

• 

72 Messages

Tuesday, February 21st, 2023 2:35 AM

End NRMA free charging

The NRMA 50 kW chargers around NSW are now being overused because they are free. When travelling through towns with NRMA fast chargers, it is common to encounter locals at these chargers using them because it's cheaper than charging at home (I know because I've spoken to them!) There is no justification now for making the chargers free. It needs to stop because it's making the chargers in sometimes remote places much harder to use when we need them.

Please, NRMA, make us pay!

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

2 years ago

Hi @bje ......... totally agree and it's not just happening in towns. I live in the Wollongong area and the two NRMA chargers are getting totally smashed with EV charging because they are free and a number of same EVs are fully charging every day, not a charge once a week or a visitor staying or passing through.  A short 5 min drive away at Figtree, Tesla recently installed (6) New Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 250kW CCS compatibility but plugshare shows hardly any Teslas charge there! Most are at the NRMA Free chargers and as you stated, happy to comment to that effect. What even more annoyed me was that they weren't even NRMA members, didn't even have one NRMA policy or other! Where were all these EVs charging before?? Sitting in their garages because they can't afford to pay for the electrons! Really, how is this promoting the wonders of owning an EV. I'll certainly be visiting the NRMA Stand at the upcoming Fully Charged Show.

New user

• 

1 Message

@Enforcer​ The Figtree Tesla chargers get used more sessions per day than the nrma site. Why would anyone check-in to a Tesla supercharger? They generally always work and the navigation and app shows how many are in use. People check-in to the nrma sites more so to notify others that the non networked site is currently in use and if the hardware is broken or charging slower than expected as this is pretty common with Tritium hardware

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

@BradField .........I understand the point that you're trying to make regarding most don't check-in to a Tesla charger because they have an app. Likewise is similar with the other charging Networks like Evie and Chargefox, etc... you can see from their app if and which ones are in use since some people don't both to check-in on plugshare. The issue with the NRMA ones is they still haven't released their app so you then hope people using have checked-in charging or waiting, but if not just turn up and charge or wait because they are FREE for all. Why would I fill my ICE at say Shell or BP when Ampol is giving fuel for FREE.

Bronze user

• 

72 Messages

@Enforcer​ The main issue with not using PlugShare is that the other network apps only show whether the chargers are in use or not. They don't give any additional information and they certainly don't indicate how long the driver intends to be there. If I turn up to a charger with a charging car unattended, but a check-in says that they intend to leave in 10 minutes, that is a lot more reassuring than turning up to an unattended car with no check-in. For all I know, the driver could have gone ballooning!

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

@bje .....Agree, people should have the courtesy/etiquette to use Plugshare for themselves or others following.....Currently it's still "The Wild West" and becoming noticeably worse as more EVs are around. Also at Tesla chargers they would be charged a fee if connected & not charging if they have gone ballooning! They have a proven World Wide setup including equipment & infrastructure, etc..., so why do we have to REinvent the wheel. Anyway, if you have time please look at some of the previous community topics where a lot of this has already been extensively covered. Happy EV motoring!

New user

• 

2 Messages

@BradField​  I think the Mittagong NRMA charger has similar issues to Figtree. No other chargers nearby for non Tesla drivers except the new Evie chargers at Exeter. Lots of Tesla only options , but for me Exeter is inconvenient, particularly if doing a Sydney round trip.  I also think there should be a charge for Mittagong (with NRMA members discount) which would stop locals, like me, clogging it up.

New user

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Make all non NRMA members pay.

Bronze user

• 

72 Messages

@Huddy​ I don't think that will be sufficient to address the problems.

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

@Huddy it's definitely on the cards that there will be costs to use our EV fast charging network. We hope to have this up and running this year, but will be providing lots of notice before any changes occur. 

EV community admin

Bronze user

• 

72 Messages

@NRMA_Paul I also spoke to some of the friendly NRMA people at Fully Charged Live about this. It can't come too soon!

New user

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

I understand from talking to NRMA at Fully Charged Live that charging will happen later this year, I think they said September.

They are currently upgrading all the chargers with card readers in preparation.

I'm fully behind this as far too often do I see people only using the NRMA chargers because they are free.  The 50kW units being hogged by Tesla drivers in particular is somewhat annoying when they have their own mostly private network.

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

@OldPhart​ ..... will be interesting to see what happens when the NRMA Chargers we need to be paid to use under one of their proposed Plans. I expecting some people who have been using the free chargers will then revert back to charging at home. However, if NRMA are proposing to offer potentially good savings/discounts under their Plans v's the higher prices at the other Network Suppliers including the Tesla ones, I'm sure the NRMA Chargers usage will still be targeted be people. Hopefully I'm completely wrong! One solution we all would still like to see are more CHARGERS & with greater availability/reliability!..... Please....Thanks.

New user

• 

5 Messages

@Enforcer​ I hope that there will be some incentives (that is discounted plans) for NRMA members to charge at NRMA chargers, but I would expect that in general rates will be on a par with the other commercial sites - $0.40-$0.50 per kWh for 50kW units and up to $0.70 per kWh for the ultrarapid units.

New user

• 

30 Messages

@OldPhart​ While an NRMA member discount would be welcome, I don't like the idea that was floated a while back of an 'all you can eat' membership category. This would not fix the problem and does not encourage efficient use of resources more generally. Payment should be proportional to usage. I would prefer a simple tariff applied to all with a 20% discount for anyone who has put their NRMA membership number into the app. 

New user

• 

6 Messages

1 year ago

the nrma chargers wouldn't be used so much if there were a row of three phase power points adjacent to the fast chargers for people to use who are not in a rush. (using the appropriate three phase power cord) this would enable charging congestion to be avoided. why the three phase power point option is not being utilised more is very strange as it is a reliable and cheap way of providing a charging experience for multiple cars.

New user

• 

30 Messages

@george_m​ I would prefer a row of AC EVSE outlets for relatively slower charging with a tariff that is a bit less than the billing rate for faster DC charging. These would provide some backup for essential charging when the DC charger is occupied or out of order and people could prefer them when they are not in a hurry which would leave the DC charger free. However, being free could remain a problem by leaving them open to abuse. 

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

Hello @george_m thanks so much for the question. It's a great point and something that our team are looking into as we aim to expand and diversify our network. We don't have all the plans to share just yet, but some of our future sites will support more than 2 EVs. 

EV community admin

Bronze user

• 

72 Messages

I was pleased to see this article in The Driven a couple of days ago:

https://thedriven.io/2023/06/08/nrma-to-start-billing-for-fast-charging-plans-multiple-off-grid-charging-systems/

Thanks, NRMA! I am really looking forward to these plans being implemented.

New user

• 

15 Messages

1 year ago

Hi Team

Can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE coordinate with the charging manufacturers to have the chargers identify the vehicle through the BMS then authorise the charging to start without having to get out our phone or a card. Like the way the Tesla Superchargers work. This means that the vehicle owner just needs to register the car once with NRMA charging and simplifies the charging process. 

Bronze user

• 

72 Messages

@TomL​ Plug and Charge (ISO 15118) requires implementation on both the charger and the car side. It's the car manufacturers you need to chase. My car has no ISO 15118 support and there's no suggestion that it ever will.