P
Bronze user

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

Wednesday, September 7th, 2022 7:14 AM

Daytime slow charging at Work

A big new parking station near work has all-day parking for $10 including 8 free EV charging bays. It's slow 7kW charging, so it'll take a good chunk of the day, but since I'm at work all day anyway, that's no big deal.

Slow charging uses a trivial amount of power, and the power grid can handle massive loads 9am-3pm after the breakfast hairdryer demand peak, but before the after-school air con & cooking demand peak, right over the solar supply peak. Heck, I'd be quite happy if these sort of chargers were switched off before 9am and after 3pm so the parking station gets discounted shoulder power rates (or if on wholesale, cheap & sometimes negative daytime rates), but since almost every car would be charged long before 3pm, that's probably unnecessary.

Daytime charging while at work is far more likely to be solar, is far more sustainable, supports the power grid instead of imposing on it, is arguably healthier for your battery than constant rapid charging, supports people who live in rentals, houses without off-street parking, and don't get me started about apartment buildings where you can spend years massaging the body corporate for permission to install your own slow charger.

I'd love to see far more of these in cities!

Community support

• 

25 Messages

2 years ago

There are definitely going to be creative ways for convenient charging needed. It makes sense that facilities be available and convenient during those times in between commutes and during off peak usage times, such as when we're working or overnight. 

Australia's business and residential infrastructure is pretty far behind in accommodating this but we think there's a lot of opportunity here which we've touched on in the article I'll link below. 

We'd love to hear more suggestions like these, thanks so much for sharing! 

Getting buildings ready for electric vehicles

(edited)