K

Tuesday, December 5th, 2023 9:47 PM

charging cable length

I am looking at buying a type 2 to type 2charging cable but can't decide what length to buy. The cable comes in 5 metre, 7 metre or 10 metre. Reason I am not sure is that I have never charged my EV at a public charging station as yet. Can anyone assist and advise mme what length is most suitable.

New user

• 

17 Messages

10 months ago

Hi Keith, what type of EV do you have? Some EVs have a charge port near the A pillar which can make lining up with the cable a bit more difficult. If in doubt, I'd suggest driving to a charger to check - or just get the longest one!

New user

• 

32 Messages

10 months ago

Whatever you get, make sure it's rated up to 22kW so you receive the best AC your car can take.

6 Messages

9 months ago

The cables are bulky and heavy, so shorter could be better. I use a 5m cable with an MG4. It has the charge port at the back, and I back in to the charging station at the Exploren and ChargeFox networks where I need the cable. The convenience is much the same or better than at the NRMA and BP and EVIE chargers, which have built-in cables.

Bronze user

• 

82 Messages

5 months ago

Charging extension cables are generally only capable of handling up to 22kW, and the lighter weight ones much less than that. You wont be able to use one for DC fast charging, something to keep in mind when you arrive at one of the many DC fast chargers with a too short cable for vehicles with charging sockets on the side.