T
New user

New user

• 

3 Messages

Monday, March 20th, 2023 7:34 AM

Caravan towing

Thinking of purchasing a small caravan, I have an XC40 twin electric and the charging point is on the left rear. Would I need to unhitch or can you purchase an extender cable for fast chargers? I want to go on long trips requiring multiple chargers in one day and the only way I can see to do this is to unhitch the van for every charge. Most charging points are not drive thru and require either front to kerb or reverse parking. Any brilliant ideas?

New user

• 

30 Messages

2 years ago

I have a Hyundai Ioniq 5 and tow a 2010 Jayco Flite camper trailer. The HI5 has its charge port on the right rear corner. On a recent trip using multiple DC fast chargers, I was able to avoid unhitching most of the time by approaching at odd angles, sometimes driving over tyre stops, to get the charge port close enough for the cable to reach. At one charger it was not possible to avoid unhitching but the carpark had enough unused parking spaces adjacent to each other to make unhitching fairly painless. 

New user

• 

3 Messages

@PeterCa​ 

hi Peter, thank you for the advice and the photos, I haven’t been that far yet so have not seen the open style chargers only ones in shopping centres and two nrma chargers where I will have to unhitch if I choose to use them. Nice van, I’ll still looking for a lite mini van. 
Tony

New user

• 

30 Messages

The 2010 Jayco Flite is very similar to the current Jayco Swift. A difference is that the top of the Flite's kitchen bench folds down into the middle of the van allowing the bench to be taller with more cupboard space when set up and the roof to be lower when packed up relative to the Swift. The bed slides are also a bit lower so there is more headroom over the beds. I expect the lower roof helps with aerodynamics. The Flite is also a bit lighter than the Swift. We were lucky to find a used Flite in excellent condition a few years ago. 

Over almost 1900km recently towing, we averaged 26.5kWh/100km mostly ranging from 90-100kph. With a 77kWh battery, that works out to a bit under 300km range, down by about a third from over 400km. 

Bronze user

• 

72 Messages

2 years ago

No way will you find an extension cable for a DC fast charger!

New user

• 

3 Messages

@bje​ thanks for the reply

tony