G
New user

New user

• 

6 Messages

Friday, March 24th, 2023 4:19 AM

ACT charging stations

Hi, 

we assumed that the green ACT would have good DC cover. Mistake. On way out of town to Sydney we checked apps and saw lots of choice Fyshwick / Majura. However, being new to this game we did not check the kws of each. The faster was Tesla only, leaving only 11 & 22 kws ACs…with no shade on a 39 degree day. Yeesh it was hot. Charged enough to limp to Goulburn with fingers crossed where fast chargers were available (NRMA thank you). Is NRMA thinking of putting faster chargers at this end of Canberra town for travelers ?

Thank you 

Accepted Solution

New user

• 

5 Messages

1 year ago

It is indeed disappointing that there are limited choices in DC rapid charging in the ACT.  I can charge at home using our Zappi EVSE but on occasions it would be great to have a DC choice for those times I can't get it done at home.

BTW, there was a DC rapid charger in Civic but that has been offline as the carpark it is in is being used for the Light Rail extension works.

Bronze user

• 

72 Messages

@OldPhart​ I think the limited AC charging locations is just as disappointing!

New user

• 

13 Messages

Couldn’t agree more.

Accepted Solution

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

1 year ago

Hello @Grahathe NRMA is currently planning the next phase expansion of its charging network and the ACT and surrounds are under consideration in that. These things do take a little time to plan before details can be shared, but we hope to share the news as soon as possible. 

New user

• 

13 Messages

Thanks NRMA. It is still very frustrating that there are very very few DC chargers in Canberra.

I have a few questions you might help me with (maybe they should be in separate posts but here goes).

1. If I’m staying at a hotel in Canberra with charging stations I seem to have to bring my own cable.  Do I have to buy a special cable specifically for the purpose?

2. Is there a specific reason why Canberra is so far behind other major cities? 

3. Why does it take so long to get approval to instal charging stations? I would have thought States and Territories would have fast track planning approval for charging stations to help them meet their emissions targets. 

Thanks NRMA for your help. 

New user

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

I had the same experience and had to charge in Goulburn and was lucky that one of the four there was working.

Allegedly the public service provides free chargers for staff.  Too bad for everyone else.

New user

• 

13 Messages

Agreed.  That’s not very helpful for the thousands of people to travel to Canberra each week. There seems to be something peculiar about Canberra. Too many barriers to setting up charging stations perhaps? 

New user

• 

6 Messages

Thankyou to John McGrath motors in Philip - convenient and fast enough charger . Our go to when in Canberra - not far from family we visit. 
Hopefully the rollout is coming along … soon. Holiday season is coming….

New user

• 

13 Messages

9 months ago

I’m with you @Grahajaro. I get very frustrated every time I come to Canberra (maybe 4 times a year) to find the charging situation hasn’t improved.  

My next action is to contact my local Federal MP (drives a Tesla) and ask her to advocate on behalf of other EV users. She will be very supportive - though it is an ACT issue not a Federal issue, I’m sure Federal parliamentarians have a level of influence within the ACT. I’ve written my questions below.  If you want to add any questions or comments please respond to my post and I’ll send them all in one go. 

1. Why are there so few public DC fast/superfast chargers in Canberra?  It is embarrassing that our Nation’s capital city lags so far behind every other capital city in the eastern states. 

2. Is there a timetable for rolling out public DC chargers in our Nation’s capital? 

3. Why does planning/approvals/installation for DC chargers take so long? Can we advocate for all states/territories to introduce fast-tracking of planning/approvals/installation to support reaching state and Federal emission targets. 

4. The lack of charging stations adds at least 50 minutes to my return trip from Canberra to the northern beaches of Sydney (Avalon). I have to top up at the Realm Hotel for 30 minutes, longer if I have to wait. I have breakfast or lunch while doing so and therefore contributing to the ACT economy. Then I have to top up again at Sutton Forest West using the Evie super fast charger for another 20 minutes. That makes a 4.5 hour trip (with 30 minute break), into a 5.5 hour trip.  I think that’s crazy. I shouldn’t have range anxiety travelling to, from or through Canberra. 

New user

• 

6 Messages

Thanks Kona - yes more DC stations - as we are a nation of road travellers, and planet conscious consumers, it would be great for a faster uptake by charging companies / govt - whoever is slowing down this process of charger installation. My wish list would to have chargers undercover so you don’t bake in summer and solar powered (although that may slow it down) green energy might be best. Also, what would be considered a fair $ per kWh - have seen quite a range. Tesla was at 85c last seen !! 

New user

• 

8 Messages

There is also the six plug DC charger setup outside the Royal Australian Mint if that helps

Bronze user

• 

72 Messages

@KonaEV23​ Assuming you're not doing the round trip in one day, why not recharge overnight? There are hotels now offering slower AC charging for guests. I avoid DC chargers like the plague, especially at this time of year!

I have also done a round trip from Canberra to Sydney and did my charging on the highway outside of Sydney rather than in the city itself. The same strategy could be applied in the other direction.

New user

• 

6 Messages

Have you read the first comment? In our case we visit family without chargers and don’t wish to plug in to other peoples homes. We travel a lot and manage very well

planning where DC s are  - John McGrath Philip is great atm. But not much else yet….

New user

• 

13 Messages

@bje​ yeah. I hear you. Where we stayed didn't have a charger and in taking a big picture view, I don't believe in relying on hotels as it excludes those passing through Canberra on the way to somewhere else. This was me in July. 

So I had to rely on a fast DC charger. I don't mind doing that. However there are no fast DC chargers north of Lake BG. And there have been no new fast chargers since I was there in July. I'm just astonished that Canberra is so underserved in this regard.

From an economic perspective, Canberra is missing out on visitors who want to stop for an hour or two, enjoy a nice meal while the car is charging. As you say, they will charge before Canberra and after Canberra and not stop in Canberra.  It's really dumb.