incazo_ian's profile
New user

New user

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, October 4th, 2022 11:47 PM

What about hybrid vehicles?

I am looking forward to getting an EV however at this stage I would also need a ICE as heading out west as there are almost no charging sataions. Is there a reason the hybrids are not considered an EV as to me it better to own 1 vehicle and use it on EV most of the time for short trips? Also an EV is still not an option for long range heavy towing but a hybrid is.

Accepted Solution

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

2 years ago

By the time any new car arrives (new car orders are rarely fulfilled within a year these days, a RAV4 Hybrid is about two years), there'll be more charging stations out west.

New user

• 

4 Messages

@PCLoadLetter​ That is a very good point. My eldest was thinking of a Corolla or Yaris and a month ago they said it was up to 18 months wait. I will definitely take your advice re charging stations out west.

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

@incazo_ian​ Note that you can probably get a Model Y or Model 3 in a couple of months. You mentioned towing elsewhere so I'll assume you want a Model Y.

Which means you might have that EV (with basically the current charging infrastructure) for a year or so before a hypothetical hybrid would even have been delivered.

Which means heading out west will involve some planning. Charging can be sketchy in a lot of places. But if you have, umm, good spirits and loose plans, it's probably still doable :)

The NRMA network can already get you up to Bourke, or out to Broken Hill, or to Hay & Mildura & across to Adelaide. More obscure places may require the mobile connector (Tesla optional extra) and perhaps also some round plug adapters (third party optional extras). But it's electricity. You can get it just about everywhere.

The NRMA network can get me to Moree, but alas it can't get me back again. No huge issue, since I'm there for a week, thus trickle charging is an option. It just means having an awkward talk with the caravan park staff. Their owner isn't keen on EVs. As a pre-existing regular who's moderately literate with the park's power limitations, he has his staff assign me a cabin in a row along the back fence line, that's got fewer limitations than most other sites (2 customers per 60 amp breaker instead of 4). I then charge at 8 amps for two nights (I don't charge afternoons/evenings, as that's when the park's grid is stressed). I also pause the charge when I run the kettle, toaster or microwave. It's not critical that I do any of this, as those sites aren't stressed, but it's a courtesy. And I proactively tell them to add $20 excess power usage to my bill when I check in.

If I was at some showgrounds, I might be able to use the 15 amp plug, or better yet, one of the 20 or 32 amp round plugs (third party purchase required). That'd get me going again much, much sooner. 32 amps is 7 hours empty to full, at most. And if I only need half a charge to get me to the next real charger, then I'm only there half as long.

I don't mean to make this daunting. Just saying that things aren't impossible. Being along for the ride as the network slowly gets filled out will give you a sense of achievement.

I'm only 2½ years in, with 184,342km under my belt, including 5 round trips to Moree. I cumulatively notice my trip get a little easier every time I make it. It's the early adopter rush. I hated the detour to NRMA Pokolbin, or worse, Tesla's Supercharger at Jerry's Plains. Both are so indirect. I'm eagerly looking forward to Evie Cameron Park being open before my next trip, as NRMA Wallsend was vandalised on my last one, and I despise driving up THAT ramp at the Tesla Supercharger at Tuggerah.

One day I'll be one of those geezers who'll say "Back in my day, I had to carry 2 barrel adapters, an enormous 2-to-2 cable, a mobile connector, and 5 tails for the connector, to charge anywhere I wanted. You young whippersnappers with your DC chargers everywhere will never understand what it's like to walk uphill to school both directions, 12 miles each way, barefoot in the snow". Oh, wait, I'm getting my wires crossed!

New user

• 

6 Messages

We've had a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV for about 6 years and have been happy with it - although it was initially bought as an 'interim' vehicle while we waited for a suitable EV. We still haven't replaced it as it's great for long trips, where the regenerative braking keeps the electric system topped up. Our fuel economy on long trips is about 6.5-7 Litres/100 km. It's also quiet and comfortable. The latest model has a larger battery that ours so you should get ~80 km from a single charge, making it possible to do local driving almost entirely on battery power. If you can charge it at home from your rooftop solar you're a real winner!

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

2 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoZN828qnp8

@incazo_ian... FYi.... video on PHEVs...I'm not promoting John Cadogan but he has a lot of subscribers and likes to state the facts and obviously his opinions..... comments by viewers are mostly useful.

It's a "free world" but 'supply and demand' is an issue as others have mentioned , so good luck with whichever way you go.

New user

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

For me hybrid is pretty much the same as an ICE vehicle, just with ostensibly better fuel economy, though I’ve read that this is not always better than an equivalent full ICE vehicle. 

EVs today are very flexible and covered largely above. If I had to get a hybrid because I think Tesla et al don’t meet my requirements then I’d need to research thoroughly from independent sources. For me though, I don’t plan on driving all day - I like to sleep too - so carrying an extension lead for where no ‘chargers’ are available is fine. 

New user

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I ordered a Corolla Hybrid in June and I received an email last week saying it"s  being shipped. I have  limited funds so can't afford a full EV with a good range. We often travel to Mildura from Wollongong and have range anxiety. As we once travelled extensively, we know if something like a charging station breaks   down way out west, it  takes forever to get fixed. It's a long, hot, lonely way on both sides of Hay.

And while China is imposing horrendous tariffs on us, I refuse to buy a totally Chinese product. 

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

@Grizabella​ One way or another you're going to pay, whether it's in the servicing bill for the Corolla (far higher than for a Tesla), and/or the petrol bill, and/or the terrible resale values that non-EVs will have in 5-10 years.

Mildura is doable via Hay on the NRMA network, or further south on the Victorian CTR network. Just check PlugShare before you leave & decide which route is fastest and safest based on whether there have been successful check-ins. Hopefully NRMA haven't successfully discouraged people from checking into PlugShare, which is kinda essential since NRMA doesn't make their NSW (and NSW-ish - Mildura, Berri, Tanunda) charger status visible in the Chargefox app, like they do for the EHT chargers they own in Tasmania.

Sure, those flimsy postal label stickers that couldn't stand up to wet weather were a dick move by whoever stuck them on the chargers. But there have been some nicely done laminated ones taped up in the past.

Failing that, use your NRMA membership to arrange a tow truck, if their charger is unexpectedly faulty.

(edited)

New user

• 

2 Messages

If you don't have the money, all of that doesn't matter. And I'm old so will probably be 6 feet under before running costs surpass initial purchase price. Last time we needed NRMA in Narrandera, we were told it could take several hours. In the heat on the Hay plain not a pleasant wait.

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

@Grizabella​ ...... on the issue of money, many strongly believe that one should not have to pay a little more to save the Planet......at least you made an effort to at least get a Hybrid for your new car and I assume most of your daily driving will be short trips in the Illawarra so you'll get the basic recharge benefits. On longer trips will be mostly on petrol but the Corolla is relatively good on fuel but you won't have the range anxiety. If you have time on future posts, please give us some feedback on how the hybrid's performing.  

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

@Enforcer​ In the grand scheme of things, people who mostly drive short distances should probably just hold onto what they have. EVs are fantastic for people who drive long distances. Commuters. Rideshare. Taxis. Some fleets. Buses. Trucks. If we're talking about environmental concerns, consider where the greatest benefit can be had. In a couple of years we'll be flooded with affordable EV offerings. And hopefully the state government will have rescinded its idiotic bans on e-scooters. Til then, if your old beater can still drive, keep it. Don't reward the car companies with a new car sale, and give your local mechanic a bit of retirement money, keeping it on the road, as they'll be utterly annihilated once EVs take over.

And when Uber Green launches next year, use it, even though it'll mean waiting longer for a ride.

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

@PCLoadLetter​ .....agree with your thinking. It's sometimes like watching the 'grass grow' in a dry summer to get traction on such matters in Australia. In society there are the doers & not doers, leaders, followers & the rest are never happy. I remember 12 yrs ago when I was the 1st person in my street to put solar panels on my roof. I got various comments for many years from the neighbours until last few yrs when now most of the street has solar & cheaper. Gov't needs to start getting the older not so efficient ICE vehicles off the road ASAP. For us current EV owners, please continue the required EV infrastructures ASAP! The less we complain, the more chance of others wanting to get into an EV.