NRMA_Maddie's profile
Community support

Community support

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, November 2nd, 2022 5:06 AM

Would you have considered a hydrogen car if they were available?

Hey EV Community, for those who don't know me, my name is Maddie and I'm a digital communications officer at the NRMA. A large part of my job is sharing content and engaging with our social media communities on topics like EVs and motoring. You may have even seen me responding on some of our channels already.

I hear a lot of arguments for and against EVs in my role and one that comes up often, is Hyrdogen. I can see the benefits to Hydrogen vehicles such as increased range and shorter refueling times, but I also wonder why manufacturers are holding off on their development?

So I thought I'd put it to the group. What are your thoughts on Hydrogen cars? Would you have considered one if they were more readily available? And could they be a serious alternative to ICE and EVs in the future?

EV community admin

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

2 years ago

Nope. If you look inside the fuel door on any Hydrogen car you'll see an expiry date. As in, the date the car can no longer be refuelled after. I don't want to own a car with a defined expiry date.

New user

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

No, energy efficiency is the name the game. Hydrogen car is as bad as ICE. Why do I need to triple the energy, money to go the same distant? Unless I'm in the middle of an ocean.

New user

• 

32 Messages

2 years ago

I recently saw a tweet (that admittedly was US based) showing the cost at the bowser for hydrogen cars as of a few weeks back and it was showing $24/kg .. so ~$125 to fill the tank. I think they get 0.977 kg/100 km