incazo_ian's profile
New user

New user

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, October 5th, 2022 12:08 AM

Towing a box trailer

Many years downgraded form a large station wagon to a Honda Jazz and bought a 6x4 box trailer.  When I go to a EV I would want similar towing capacity - 500kg unbraked, 1100kg braked. I tend to use to to go to the tip, buy big things at bunnings and move firnature and white goods.  I want a small EV nothing like the dual cab utes that are on there way. Anyone have any experience towing or advise on which EV's can tow? I am aware that the advice it towing can halve the range of your vehicle.

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

2 years ago

Towing capacity on a Tesla Model Y is 1600kg braked or 750kg unbraked.

https://shop.tesla.com/en_au/product/model-y-tow-package

(edited)

New user

• 

30 Messages

2 years ago

It is really annoying that EV manufacturers seem to be overly cautious with tow ratings. We had a 2019 Hyundai Kona EV. The petrol version had a 1300kg braked/650kg unbraked rating but they didn't rate the electric version. One of the supposed reasons was that the range estimates would be inaccurate (as if the owners couldn't work that out and make allowances!). Nonetheless, a tow bar designed for the petrol version bolted straight on just the same. A few times, I towed an 850kg braked trailer and the Kona EV did an excellent job of it without any sign of stress or instability. I attempted to get a custom tow rating with an engineer inspecting and considering the car as a modified vehicle. The local motor registry initially accepted his report and custom rating but later rescinded that. We then reluctantly sold the Kona that we remained happy with and bought a larger electric vehicle than we would otherwise have chosen that had a more than ample tow rating.

NB. Still electric - I wouldn't buy anything else. We now have a Hyundai Ioniq 5 with a 1600kg braked, 750kg unbraked rating. 

(edited)