M
New user

New user

• 

6 Messages

Monday, November 28th, 2022 3:16 AM

No small EVs available in Australia

Why are we not seeing any genuinely SMALL (less than 1.8 metres wide) EVs available for sale in Australia -apart from a couple of 'style statements' that are over-priced IMHO and not what I want? There are plenty on the roads in Europe - and also plenty of small ICE vehicles on Australian roads (Kia Picanto, Toyota Echo, Honda Civic & Jazz, Nissan Micra) - but no EV equivalents. Is anyone else waiting for a small EV before they are prepared to invest their money? If one was available I would certainly be keen to buy.

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

2 years ago

I really hope to see the Aptera come to Australia. It'd be way more interesting than some eurotrash hatch.

In the meantime the closest you're likely to find is the Nissan LEAF. Look up The Good Car Company, who imports 5 year old LEAFs from Japan whose owners don't want to go through the onerous re-registration inspection process there. They'll flash the onboard systems to English, though you might need to swap out the radio if you can't read Japanese.

New user

• 

6 Messages

@PCLoadLetter​ I am on the mailing list of The Good Car Company but a 2dn hand Leaf doesn't really suit me. But thanks for the recommendation nonetheless; it will probably be helpful to other readers.

Community support

• 

44 Messages

2 years ago

Hi @MogBrown - I just checked with one of our motoring journalist who advised that the Hyundai Kona is 1800mm, the Mazda MX-30 is 1795mm, the Mini Cooper SE is 1727mm and the Nissan Leaf is 1788mm.  Do any of these models interest you or are you wanting smaller? 

New user

• 

6 Messages

@Dan Alex​  Hi Dan

Thanks for your suggestions: the Kona is too big, the Mini is too pricey for what you get and I haven't warmed to the Mazda based on what I've read so far. I have my eye on the Fiat 500e, BYD Dolphin and the ACE Urban - which I've placed a small deposit on. All are ' supposed' to be available in Australia in 2023 - and I'm waiting for the first to get released. Overseas models that also attract include the Nissan Sakura and Mitsubishi eK as well as the Seat Mii. I'd even consider the Microlino - which looks like a pretty cool City car but would probably not get local safety approval. Small is beautiful  IMHO!

Community support

• 

44 Messages

Great that you have already done your research @MogBrown! The only other current EV that I can think of that might fit that bill is BMW i3. We put together this Owner's Review early this year: https://www.mynrma.com.au/cars-and-driving/electric-vehicles/reviews/2017-bmw-i3-review

It's likely a case that manufacturers in Australia have been focusing on market segments they believe will sell based on ICE figures - hence most are small/mid-sized SUVs and performance cars.

It would be good to do a piece that focused on 'lighter' EVs to arrive on our shores soon!

New user

• 

6 Messages

Thanks, Dan

The BMW is another model that is over-priced IMHO. It's a pity the local distributors (we don't have many actual manufacturers left in Oz) seem to disregard the popularity of small cars. You just have to look in any car park to see the proportion of small vs large vehicles to get my drift.

I'm hoping ACE gets going pretty quickly because it would be really great to have a local manufacturer of cars again.  But I'll keep my eye on market trends as any sensible person would if they're looking to purchase an EV.

New user

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I am also tired of searching for good small EVs in AU. Thought about importing one, but the added cost is not worth it. I think I am just gonna stick with my e-bikes until I find the right EV.