J
New user

New user

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, September 7th, 2022 4:28 AM

EV car servicing

Do all car servicing providers offer servicing for electric vehicles now across Australia? How does an electric car service differ to your typical ICE vehicle service? Should I expect it be more expensive while electric vehicles are not widely used?

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

2 years ago

My Tesla Model 3 SR+ is 2½ years old and has done 180k. In that time, I've had Tesla service do a few things. The official two year scheduled service (inspect brake fluid) cost me $24. Two lots of cabin air filters ($87 from mobile service or $52 if you order the parts from Tesla & DIY). Two pairs of wiper blades ($75 from Tesla service or $40 if you order them from Tesla & DIY). A 12 volt battery ($145 from Tesla service). A squeaky driver's window ($27 from Tesla service). I've got it in literally right now for some de-gunking of the air conditioner that's sending power consumption through the roof (price unsure, quote was $135 for the diagnosis & probably a few bucks for labour if no new parts are required).

The most annoying thing is the crappy fibre board aero undertray panels. I'm yet to order the aftermarket aluminium ones despite having had to replace the fibre board ones twice in 180k, when I kept hydroplaning in really heavy weather and turning them to mush.

Local tyre shops do rotations & balance, typically $20-$50. And the tyres are pricier than my old hatchbacks, but not hugely out of whack for a sedan ($220ish for the Kumho or Toyo or Continentals). Please, for the love of God stay well clear of the Goodyear Eagle F1 - too hard & not enough wet-weather traction!.

And a few bucks for wiper fluid from Supercheap.

(edited)

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

2 years ago

Hi @JodieW Not all mechanics will be currently trained in EV repairs. But that's changing. There has been announcements that some NSW repair outlets are rolling out servicing exclusively for EV brand BYD similar to the way dealer servicing exists so they will be trained in EV repairs. Servicing in general is a lot cheaper as mentioned due to there being less moving parts. 

(edited)

New user

• 

11 Messages

2 years ago

Hi Jodie, depends upon EV usage and make/type.  From my experience with Tesla M3 when compared to Toyota Prius Hybrid.  There is less cost, time and servicing due to less moving parts. Some states offer reduced car registration costs.  Wish there was lowered cost for car insurance for EVs - tend to be around $1000-$1500 annual fee.

General things to check on EV include yearly tyre rotation, balance, alignment and pressure, brake check, fluid for windscreens, along with annual air conditioner filter change.  Depending upon yearly kms to drive, windscreen wippers and change wheels every 2-3 years.  Air conditioner clean and services every 5 years.  

Of course, other unexpected things can go wrong ie home charger, broken glass, tyre puncture yet should be covered under car warranty and serving.  Also, tend to find if cheaper part used in manufacturing production, then those parts tend to give out around time of warranty so do get them checked before your warranty times out..

If using solar power from home to charge, generally takes around 15-20 solar panels to cover the electricity needed to charge the EV.  This depends on how much you drive and weight factors, the efficiency of your roof solar system and demographic factors related to weather.  Best to charge at off peak time or at night.   Depends if you have access to solar battery to store energy and/or draw down from grid at night.

Hope this helps you budget for future EV costs.