Cooper's profile
New user

New user

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, October 18th, 2022 11:27 PM

Electric 4WD options

Hi my next vehicle is going to be an EV for sure. I have also started birding this year and have realised that a 4WD would be an advantage to get to some of the best birding spots. Has anyone done much research on this area? Not looking for anything big but needs to be 4WD. Have heard there may be options in Australia by the end of next year? BTW I went for “general” as the category as the vehicle options restricted me to one manufacturer. I think that needs an “other” category. 

New user

• 

32 Messages

2 years ago

The EV Trucks/Pickups/4WD class are coming very soon. I don't expect the initial options to be cheap by any stretch of the imagination however. Maybe an EV conversion will do for now? https://www.evolutionaustralia.com.au/electric-ev-car-conversion-kits

New user

• 

6 Messages

@Gaffa​ Thanks for this. An interesting idea but i love my current car so happy to hold off to see what the market brings. 

Community Admin

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Hi @Cooper , while there are already quite a few all-wheel drive EVs in the Australian market, none are really marketed as off-roaders.

What sort of budget are you working with? We can certainly make some suggestions based on this.

New user

• 

6 Messages

@NRMA_Liam​  Hi and thanks. To be honest i have not even considered a budget at this point. I have a 7 year old Skoda Octavia Scout which i love so to change it i need to find something with similar comfort and it is an all wheel drive so I don’t see the point in changing it for another AWD when I would prefer my next vehicle to be a 4WD. I don’t want to do anything too dicey with a 4WD but would need good clearance which the skoda doesn’t really have. Hope that helps.

Community Admin

• 

4 Messages

@Cooper​ EVs should, in theory, be very capable over slippery terrains as their power delivery is almost instantaneous and can be much better regulated by on-board traction control systems. These cars are likely to switch to just front- or rear-wheel drive to improve economy when they don't need the traction demands of four-wheel drive.

If ground clearance is your biggest concern, there unfortunately isn't a whole lot of choice just yet, however: the Mercedes-Benz EQA has a ground clearance of 180mm, while the Volvo XC40 Recharge is listed at 171mm. These models are both available now, can be had in all-wheel drive, and exceed the current generation Octavia Scout's ground clearance of 163mm.

New user

• 

6 Messages

Thanks Liam, i’ll check them out but think i may still wait for a 4WD. Seems i have plenty of research to do.

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

@Cooper​ ........I'd be waiting since plenty happening in the 4WD/AWD space.

While I have your attention I would like to quickly mention a capable but expensive EV and part of the Skoda/VW family.

The Audi e-Tron with its quattro all-wheel drive. The drive modes are Efficiency, Comfort, Auto, Individual, Dynamic, Sport, Off-Road and All-Road.

The e-tron can tow a trailer up to 1,800kg.

The e-tron’s ground clearance is 172mm but it has adaptive air suspension as standard, allowing the ride height to be increased by 76mm for off-road excursions[=248mm], or dropped by 20mm at motorway speeds.

New user

• 

6 Messages

This conversation is really helping. Funnily enough i had in my head a standard looking 4WD that i can throw gear into, and some of it muddy, rather than a standard sedan. I owned an Audi for 18 years (A4) and loved it until i took it on a road it shouldn’t have been on and cracked the catalytic converter in a pothole. I just can’t see me taking such a beautiful vehicle off-road in muddy boots.  Thinking more rav4 style. Great to have your input though it is all helping. Thanks.