N
NRMA Employee

NRMA Employee

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, April 26th, 2023 2:47 AM

Converting ICE vehicles to EVs

Hi all

Recently at the Fully Charged show in Sydney there were a few examples of ICE cars that had been converted to EVs. Has anyone here done this or know someone that’s done this? What are your thoughts on converting a cheaper or even a second hand ICE car and upgrading it to fully electric? Do you think this is a viable option?

Bronze user

• 

72 Messages

1 year ago

Hi @NRMA_Dave. @PeterCa has done a conversion. I would say that conversions make sense for classic cars that you want to future proof, but in general, taking an older car (with no mod cons and questionable safety standards) and converting it to electric is not going to be as cost effective as just buying a second-hand EV.

New user

• 

30 Messages

1 year ago

I converted a Daihatsu charade to electric drive back in 2009. I drove it till 2018, when I sold it still running well. I don't regret it and think I did a pretty good job of it and it was a fun car to drive and better as an EV than it was as an ICE vehicle but I would not bother now unless you really want a substantial project. It would cost as much to do as buying a used Leaf or iMiEV and it would be difficult to get more than local range without cost blowouts. I'd save up a bit more and get a used Hyundai Ioniq, 28 or 38kWh for a much better car. As Ben says, only bother now if keeping something interesting or classic on the road. I did the conversion because there was no car I could buy and even a few years later there was nothing under $50K when my conversion cost $20K. 

New user

• 

5 Messages

1 year ago

As someone who has been involved with increasing performance on ICE vehicles I was somewhat terrified at the thought of a beetle with a Tesla engine. I'd never add significant power without also improving brakes and structural rigidity. Here you're also adding mass, and as it's not purpose built, you're also raising the CoG with those batteries quite high.

Having said that I'd love to see a Citroën DS conversion.

I'm sure there are plenty of valid applications and suitable donor cars.

(edited)

New user

• 

30 Messages

@Congdon​ The engineer that signed off on my Charade conversion back in 2009 said I had improved the car as it ended up with a 50:50 weight distribution rather than nearly all the weight at the front and barely enough at the back to hold the back wheels down. I put in heavier duty springs at the rear and lowered the front slightly to end up back to level. It certainly handled well and was very zippy. 

The easiest way to do a conversion is to leave the gearbox in place and drive directly into that. I generally drove in 3rd gear from stopped up to 90kph. On a 100kph or more road, I would change to 4th to avoid being near the rev limit of the motor I used.