M
New user

New user

• 

6 Messages

Friday, December 30th, 2022 8:38 AM

We are not ready

Hi Forum, just wanted to share some recent experiences I have had  while trying a holiday trip to Taree on my EV. Before starting that travel I sort of confidently told my friends that EVs are not only limited as city cars, they are ok to use for holiday travels too. I still want to keep my opinion, but some of the limitations I faced, just wanted to share with.

I made my travel plan well (I think) 

Day1 - Starting from home drove to Wallsend, Newcastle to NRMA Fast Charger, both of them occupied, one of them a Tesla is charging was around 23%, fine, other one an MG ZS EV just pilled in before I arrived the carpark, strangely enough, his car was 100% and was still trying to charge. After trying for 10 minutes, he finished, I Checkedin with Plugshare, Thankfully I topped up, Travelled in and around Newcastle, then to Taree.

Day2 - In Taree, Car was less than 30%, I thought use the Mid-coast Council Chargers at 2 Biripi Way, Taree. They are 22kw Type2 but needs BYO Cables, this is common problem, infrastructure is there but not quite useful. It's like taking your own hose to fill up petrol! The EVIE Network  Chargers, next to the Servo at Taree South, are down for long time (looks like not considered essential service). Drove down to Nabiac to NRMA Fast Charger, occupied, the guy didn't bother checking in with PlugShare. I know it is not a requirement, but it is courteous to do, so other drivers are aware and can plan. After  waiting 1hr 10 minutes got a turn, towards the end it slows down to half the power. Thankfully topped up. Back to Taree.

Day3 - After travelling Forster & Tuncurry back to Nabiac again to top up end of the day, thankfully this time no waiting, checked in Plugshare,  started charging without any issues. 10 minutes into charging another BYD Atto3 arrived, does not use Plugshare, so did not know that the station was occupied. Since charging slows down after 85%, I cut my charging short around 90% & left.

Day 4 - Way back home, stopped by Nabiac to top up before the long run to Sydney, occupied, did not login with Plugshare. Could not wait as he had a long way to go. Drove straight to Karuah ChargeFox Fast Charger, worked as expected. The 50kw charger has been down for a long time. 

All in all, had a nice journey just bit different from a traditional one. 

Two points I would like to share. One, the infrastructure is not ready yet for EVs. Two, the drivers are not ready, mentally. 

Hope both improves with time. 

Thanks

Monzur

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

2 years ago

Hello @Monzur welcome to the community. Also, outside of the charging challenges I hope you had a good time up north and visited some great spots too. From what I've been reading on here and other pages, there's definitely some room for improvement for some EV owners to be a little more considerate, especially as we're in a phase of building charging infrastructure which as a country we're lacking behind. I know we're looking at adding more sites to existing locations as well as scope out new locations too, but these things can take some time. I hope your experience hasn't stopped you from planning your next road trip though as it can only improve. 

New user

• 

6 Messages

@NRMA_Paul​ Thanks. Yes, we had a great time. Look forward to get out and about again with the family.

Just to clarify, my text was no way a complain, rather wanted to share my experience that we're at the early stage of this curve of change.

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

@Monzur I definitely did not take your message as a complaint and understand that there are still challenges to face for EV owners whilst infrastructure still grows. We know that we can also improve too, so we're looking at ways we can solve some of these challenges and adding new locations too. 

I am glad that overall it was a good trip with the family and hope you are already planning your next trip. 

EV community admin

New user

• 

32 Messages

2 years ago

This is a great example of the massive mote the Tesla Supercharger network has become. The experience within/without that charging network is quite simply chalk-and-cheese.

I really appreciate what NRMA is doing with their statewide rollout but to be something that can be truly relied upon they need a dedicated mobile maintenance team and not 3rd party contractors. They should be looking to a KPI of no charger being off-line longer than 48 hours. After that there should be more than two stalls at every site. Four to six minimum I believe.

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

Across the last 4 years, the NRMA has learnt numerous lessons and received feedback from many drivers in ways to improve our sites and service. We are listening but also appreciate the feedback too. Our aim is to deliver a highly reliable service.

We aim to make sure our future sites allow multiple vehicles to charge concurrently and to make sure there is at least an alternate charging plug to use when a charger fails. Also having delivered the majority of our network using a first generation charger model, we now know how important it is to deploy chargers with proven reliability. We are purchasing more charger spares to store locally  and adding more charger suppliers, models and sizes  to our fleet of chargers. This will remove pressure from a single supplier model with the aim to provide a better overall service at each charging site. 

EV community admin