A
New user

New user

• 

1 Message

Saturday, September 24th, 2022 6:24 AM

Hyundai Kona charging on Tesla charger??

I have recently heard that my Hyundai Kona ( 2021 model) can use the Tesla chargers but when I tried it with the standard charging cord it wouldn’t fit. Does anyone know if I actually can use the Tesla chargers and, if so, do I need an adapter to make the cord fit my vehicle?? TIA

Accepted Solution

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

2 years ago

It's complicated.

Tesla Superchargers (the big DC ones)? No.

Tesla Destination Chargers (the small AC wall-mounted ones the size of a shoebox): Maybe

Gen3 destination chargers will work. But Gen2 destination chargers won't work unless whoever installed it enabled legacy mode. However, the later Gen2 units didn't have a legacy mode & just won't work at all. As such, check PlugShare and look through all check-ins for evidence of successful check-ins from non-Tesla owners.

New user

• 

40 Messages

@PCLoadLetter​ further to this, some destination charger owners don't know that their charger is in legacy mode. So, ask to try the charger and please update Plugshare. One motel thought only one of theirs was in legacy mode, but both were and one garden centre thought both of theirs were Tesla-only when they weren't.

(edited)

New user

• 

23 Messages

@PCLoadLetter​  Thanks - that explanation is clearer, and more informative, than anything I have read on this topic. 

Bronze user

• 

72 Messages

@gordonr​ Some motels don't even realise that their destination chargers can possibly be re-configured to service more guests with non-Tesla vehicles. I always give the motel owner/manager a bit of an explanation and recommend that they have an electrician open the unit and check if it can be put into legacy mode. It's a no brainer, really.

(edited)

Accepted Solution

New user

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Short Answer: Yes, and no. It’s complicated as @PCLoadLetter said. 

Long Answer: Hyundai Kona Electric, is equipped with a DC fast charging port that is compatible with the Tesla Supercharger network.

This means that you can use a Tesla Supercharger to charge the Hyundai Kona Electric.

Butttttttttt, it is the charging speed may be slower than what the Tesla Supercharger is capable of delivering to a Tesla vehicle, as the charging capacity of the Hyundai Kona Electric is limited. And you will need to bring your own adapter to connect the Tesla Supercharger to the Hyundai Kona Electric, as they use different charging connectors. I wish they have some kind of compatibility in the new Kona Electric

New user

• 

40 Messages

2 years ago

Tesla are trialing opening superchargers with CCS plugs to other vehicles. No date for Australia, yet. Some have the old style slim plug, and that won't work.

(edited)

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

@gordonr​ Superchargers won't really work with a non-Tesla EV even after that feature is enabled. Tesla keeps the cables on their Superchargers really short, so they waste less energy to resistance & so they look neat in that little U-shaped cut-out. But those really short cables will only reach a Tesla's back corner if the car is reversed right back against the bumper.

While you might get the cable to reach the nose of a Nissan (if CCS), MG or a Renault, that's about the limit of things. There's a slight chance it'll work for a Hyundai Kona (slightly offset on the wrong side of the nose) or a Mistubishi i-MieV (back corner, almost). But if it's a Porsche, Audi, Jaguar, GM, BMW or Mini, just forget it.

(edited)

New user

• 

40 Messages

That's a shame, and they note it in the trial: https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/support/non-tesla-supercharging One of the things I like about the destination chargers is the long cable that allows most orientations. It will be interesting to see if the Ioniq side mounted plug can be reached, but not much point trying yet.

Looks like it works in Norway - the cable is long enough for the Ioniq with the side port: https://youtu.be/9Zj6lPFPdlw but, yeah, I can see it's not going to work for many cars.

(edited)

New user

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

The use of tesla chargers is extremely hit and miss, unless you are desperate give then a miss. My local shopping centre has 6 and I tried them all and none worked. The fitting is the same but the two systems don’t talk to each other.

New user

• 

40 Messages

@Larkspur​ yeah - don't depend on them unless you know they are open for non-Teslas, which depends on whether the charger is in "legacy" mode. See PCLoadLetter's response above.

New user

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

@adriangraham Good news for you - Tesla have started to open up some of their lower use chargers as a trial and will likely roll out to all over the next 12 months. There are items online that show that the tyre stop barriers are being removed from the Superchargers that are opening up to allow non-Teslas to position closer to the charger unit.

Also, Tesla have plans to install quite a few more Supercharger locations with a grant from the NSW government - and a condition of the grant is that they must be open to all EVs.

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

Thanks for sharing @adriangraham . I am sure that the availability of more chargers for all EV owners will be a good thing whilst the infrastructure continues to grow. We'll also be adding some more new sites over the next 12 months and hope to continue to rollout more locations and additional chargers. Have you used our network so far? If so, what's your experience been like? 

EV community admin

1 Message

5 months ago

Just managed to charge our 2019 Kona on the new TESLA fast charger at Kojonup in Western Australia. Took us a couple times to connect (didn’t work on my wife’s phone, worked on mine). We also swapped chargers (there is 4) - so a bit of stuffing around, and don’t really know why it didn’t work first time,  but got there in the end

New user

• 

40 Messages

I have used the ones at Silos Estate winery in Berry, NSW with my Ioniq 2020. I had no trouble with the app, but getting close enough to the charger felt very close in the rear view mirror. I got almost 50kW for the whole charge - the maximum for the Ioniq 2020 and higher than most chargers deliver to the car.

Bronze user

• 

81 Messages

Gordonr wrote:  getting close enough to the charger...

Any earlier than the newest Tesla Superchargers have very short cables, making it difficult to get close enough, I have to park sideways,  BYD Atto3 and Jag (i-Pace?) and LDV eDeliver7 have to park "creatively" for the cables to reach.

Some NRMA cables, such as this in Armidale are also a bit on the short side

(edited)

New user

• 

23 Messages

I have used the Tesla chargers at Albury (in the RSL multi-storey carpark, so under cover, which is wonderful as most other chargers leave you out in the weather) with no issues and I have a 2022 Kona Electric. I notice Plugshare has now added a filter so that you can "hide" Tesla chargers that are NOT usable by non-Tesla cars. Makes it much easier to see which ones ARE usable. 

Bronze user

• 

81 Messages

I've noticed that the Tesla SCs that do work for other vehicles have QR codes on posts next to each charger unit, linking to a page saying how to charge non-Teslas. A bit of a waste of time really, as they only tell you to go to the app store to download the app and use it.