K
New user

New user

• 

3 Messages

Friday, May 26th, 2023 3:41 AM

EV Charge Cards and Apps

Hi Everyone, I have owned several cars in my life and never before have I read so much on how to 'fill-it-up please".  My first car, a mini, was filled by the service station attendant, so it was easy to see, and learn, how it was done.  My Atto 3 looks like it won't give me that same experience (although it will give me more in all other respects).

My reading so far has taken me to ask these questions:

1] should I be applying for a EV Charge Card?  If so, is there one better than the others?  It seems that they don't use normal credit or debit cards everywhere;

2] what is the best mobile phone App for finding charging stations suitable for Atto 3s.  I understand that NRMA is to introduce one as well; and 

3] I plan to do home charging.  I have 3 phase power and solar.  I understand from this forum that a separate power outlet of at least 20 amps is desirable.  What else is desirable?

Looking forward to your replies, and thanks for listening.

Siegfried

Accepted Solution

Bronze user

• 

72 Messages

1 year ago

Hi @kunzes,

You're right -- the fast charging situation is much more complex than it needs to be. Hopefully one day, we'll arrive at the situation where the company whose app you use can be different to the company who owns and operates the charger.

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, a card is useful. It is often quicker to just tap the access card than it is to open up the right app. It's also useful in places where phone reception is poor.

2) The main app to use is Plugshare. It lists lots of different charging stations (DC fast chargers, wallboxes at motels, even power points at rest areas). It's really a must-have app.

3) A single 20A power outlet and your own portable charge cord is sufficient, but some people choose to install a smarter wallbox like the Zappi that knows how much solar power you are exporting and adjusts the car charging speed to match so you can be sure you've charged only using your own solar power and not imported any grid electricity. This is especially useful on partly cloudy days. However, I find I do just fine with an EV with a decent sized battery and an eye on the weather forecast.

(edited)

New user

• 

3 Messages

@bje​ Thanks.  I will arrange for a Charge Card tonight.   I installed Plugshare - lots of  places and it shows costs as well. My local shopping center is listed showing a power outlet on a wall in the basement car park!!  Note to myself - must keep the portable charger in the car at all times.

thanks again

New user

• 

49 Messages

@kunzes​ Plugshare is a great and essential app for EV owners, but just be aware, anyone can add a charging location to the app without any checks being done.
So just because some one found a power outlet on private property and listed it, doesn't mean that any one can plug anything into it without permission. Without the owners permission it is theft and accordingly, there are big penalties.
All EV charging spaces should have appropriate signage, so if in doubt, talk to the owner first. Besides, getting 2.4kWs from a standard 10A power outlet is not worth the effort unless you are home charging overnight or totally stranded.
https://thedriven.io/2023/03/10/police-use-hidden-camera-to-fine-elderly-man-charging-ev-from-council-power-box/

New user

• 

3 Messages

Thanks mal_p2.  Good advice.