NRMA_Paul's profile
Bronze user

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

Thursday, February 1st, 2024 2:50 AM

Are EVs cheaper to run than petrol cars?

Are EVs cheaper to run than petrol cars?

Do EVs really cost less than ICE cars? There's been lots of hype from a recent comparison of a petrol and EV variant, so naturally we look to highlight the results, rationale and why EVs are still cheaper overall to run. 

You can find all of the info in our latest article: Are EVs cheaper to run than petrol cars?  

Did you know you can also work out how much it will cost to fully charge your battery as well as cost per trip in an EV using the below methods. 

What's been your experience as an EV owner? Has switching to an EV helped reduce your transportation costs? 

EV community admin

Bronze user

• 

81 Messages

5 months ago

In our case, only if we charge at home (off-grid) most of the time. The high cost of electrical energy on the road is significantly more than the cost of diesel in our old car for the same trip, however, the eDeliver7 van is quite a bit larger than the Peugeot Partner van.

A comparison using the fuel economy for a similar sized van, such as a Toyota HiAce, means that using NRMA energy @54c/kWh when required for longer trips with the before and after charging at home, makes it pretty even - no significant change either way financially. There are significant environmental benefits though, which is our main reason for getting the EV

Bronze user

• 

81 Messages

4 months ago

Did you know you can also work out how much it will cost to fully charge your battery...

This will generally be an underestimate, since it doesn't take into account charging inefficiencies.

Higher rates of charging will be less efficient than slow rates, due to the energy lost as heat (plus the battery cooling required to counteract this), but even at level 2, 7kW charging, there are small losses.

Then there are some discrepancies in what you are being charged for, I've had Tesla charge for 12.5% more than what the car said I should be charged for - 72kWh charged vs calculated 64kWh required. The charging rate was 79kW according to the charger vs 70kW according to my dash display. NRMA chargers have generally been +/- 3% charger/car reporting.