L
New user

New user

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, September 27th, 2022 6:52 AM

A boot full of cables

I purchased a kona January 2001 and was given the standard 240v at home charging lead with the car. I looked around and found there are several free charging sites in my area so I headed off for some free fuel and found the chargers had an alternate fitting so had to purchase an adaptor, I went out to dinner and a show and parked in a parking station shown on plugshare to have charging available, only problem there was no lead at all, you had to provide your own. Many dollars later I now have home charger cable, an adapter lead and a long lead all tucked away in the boot. This makes me somewhat envious when I see all the Tesla ones sitting vacant.

If you cant get your car unhooked from the charger, you have turned the auto disconnect off. Don’t despair look for a release under the bonnet adjacent to the charge port.

New user

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Definitely feel your pain on the cables. Even with Tesla need a Type 2 cable for some of the charging sites (e.g. ChargeFox at Woolies Kirrawee).

Not all Tesla chargers sit vacant though - over long weekend (Sunday specifically for me) - the Goulburn Superchargers (x8) were full for over 3 hours (at least while I was heading down there).

New user

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

I was considering something like this when I got my EV - https://evse.com.au/product/kwik-portable-type-2-charger-w-adaptable-tails-16-5-kw/

as I have a 3 phase outlet in the garage and can take this with me and hopefully it covers everything. However I have not looked at charging stations yet so maybe I will also need to consider more cables when the time comes

New user

• 

2 Messages

@incazo_ian​ I have driven over 25000km in the year I have had my Tesla and only use my 32A tail at home (had a single phase 32A socket put in). That provides 7kW which would charge my Tesla from empty in 7 hours. 

Everywhere else have used public charging stations (admittedly some of them Tesla SC - not available to all) - this has been handy - https://evse.com.au/product/5-metre-type-2-to-type-2-ev-charging-cable-22kw/

Over the year I have found all public charging stations to become much busier. One I used a lot, at first, NRMA Mittagong - last few months has always had a queue. Would be good to have multiple stalls (at least 2) at each site.

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

2 years ago

I carry a Type 2 to Type 2 cable, a J1772 to Type 2 barrel, my granny charger, and an obsolete CCS1 to CCS2 barrel. I also have a J1772 to Type 2 cable, but it was too heavy. It'd keep aborting while I was charging at Miranda Fair.

(I should probably donate the J1772 cable to a good cause, like the Mittagong Visitor Information Centre, but I digress).

(And I should probably try to sell the CCS1 to CCS2 barrel to someone in Taiwan or Russia or somewhere like that, where CCS1 chargers are common and CCS2 cars exist, now that ACTEWAGL standardised to CCS2 and UoW Innovation Campus's antique CCS1 charger looks like it's finally reached its long-overdue death)

As standards have long since settled (except for the Japanese companies, but thankfully they aren't popular), and as the rollout of chargers hasn't ramped up to 11 yet, we're in a really good place. Those edge cases will be crowded out in the coming years. Most folks won't even need a 2-to-2 cable in a couple of years, as bodies corporate start to mellow, and as DC options increase. I'm pretty sure everyone with a J1772 car already has adapters to work with Type 2 chargers, so there's little point even pretending that anyone still needs those J1772 AC chargers anymore.

(edited)

New user

• 

32 Messages

2 years ago

I always have the mobile charger in the boot ready for when ever (any plug can get me out of trouble in exchange for time) and a Type2-Type2 cable (gets more use then I thought it would).

That's it. Going on 4 years and I've been perfectly fine with just that. I've dropped everything and taken off for inland trips.. or off to Vic or Qld at the drop of a hat with no prep and I've never really had issues that those two cables can't deal with. I like to tell people that the charging network they know right now is as bad as they'll ever know it. Every month it's just getting better and better. Yes, you need to understand your car right now and plan ahead sometimes to be safe, but the NRMA network is making this all so much easier.

That's why I want to push NRMA to make sure it's as good as it can be. I want to reply on it without a second thought. 

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

We hear you loud and clear @Gaffa and also want to ensure our network is also reliable for EV owners too. We've come across a few hurdles with supply chain issues that sometimes blow out repair times, but we're always looking to improve that as well. Our commitment at the moment is to ensure our network is completed, then also look to see how we can improve as usage continues. 

EV community admin