N
New user

New user

• 

4 Messages

Monday, February 6th, 2023 4:14 AM

Lack of Bi Directional chargers in NSW

Like many we own a Nissan Leaf, which is capable of V2G usage, unfortunately in NSW the opportunity to purchase a Bi-Directional charger is non existent.

Is there some way the NRMA could be involved in speeding up this process, which would be a benefit to many EV owning members.

Kind Regards Richard Costello .

Accepted Solution

NRMA Employee

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks for your query Richard.

There is no doubt that V2G tech will be a key component of the broader energy transition and generate savings for energy consumers. And we can't wait for it to be deployed in NSW.

To date, V2G functionality has been certified only for electric vehicles and bi-directional charging hardware using the less common CHAdeMO connection standard, which includes products such as the Nissan Leaf and the Wallbox Quasar charger. CharIN, the industry association developing the more common CCS charging standard, has published a planned roadmap for CCS grid integration with full V2G capabilities expected by 2025. The standard will require implementation by EV manufacturers, charging hardware providers, Distribution Network Service Providers (DNSPs), energy retailers and regulators before mass market V2G offerings.

The NRMA regularly engages with relevant departments within the NSW government to identify and overcome key issues and barriers to the integration of EVs into the grid at a large scale in NSW including measures that can encourage V2G technology.

The Office of Energy and Climate Change has informed me that work is being done to prepare for the arrival of market-ready V2G technologies, including but not limited to:

• working closely with electricity distribution networks and EV charging providers to identify appropriate tariff options for EV customers as EV uptake accelerates in the coming years, which is expected to lead to the efficient integration of EVs to the grid once V2G technology is readily available 
• engaging with stakeholders in other jurisdictions to address barriers to the efficient integration of EVs into the electricity grid

As you can appreciate, the delay in mainstream adoption of V2G can be attributed to the complexity of controlling V2G technologies in a safe and secure way that ensures stability for the vehicle, on-site electrical infrastructure, and the electrical grid.

Given the scale of the trials and urgent background work being done to prepare NSW for V2G, I have no doubt we will soon witness our EVs acting as distributed energy assets powering our homes, the grid and saving us some serious $$$. 

regards

Nikesh

Senior Policy Advisor - Electric Vehicles, Future Transport & Low Carbon Tech

New user

• 

4 Messages

@EVpolicy​ Thanks for the reply, red tape is an annoying part of progress, there are many Leaf owners who are keen to invest it this technology, I’m surprised that vested interests can’t see a $ here.

We  wait patiently, hopefully the likes it Saul Griffiths can help us along 👍😊

New user

• 

1 Message

I understand that V2G is now approved and rolling out across Sout Australia. Is that true?

New user

• 

4 Messages

Yes, but still lack of Quasar, Bi-directional units👎. Both Wallbox and JetCharge seem to have little interest in this. Fully charged live had no information on this . 👎

New user

• 

2 Messages

@EVpolicy​ 

Hi Nikesh

Thanks for the explanation, it is understandable that Vehicle to grid (V2G) is rather complex and has many implications especially involving the power people. However we have battery storage like a Tesla power wall it feeds the private power circuit. I was under the understanding that the car battery can be used like a power-wall and supplies the private circuit with power when it needs it.  Than in turn when the sun shines the solar panels supplying the private circuit can charge the car batteries.  When the car is not connected the grid can supply.

At the moment a 10kw power wall is very pricey and not really worth the cost. However a electric car with around 40 to 60kw can supply a large house with power for days on end. Because it is a car you already have all the battery power at your fingertips.

My question is: Is it possible to get equipment fitted to your private circuit to make the car your temporary "power-wall"?

I can see that in the future with many electric cars and many solar panels we could get the Grid involved and you could trade electricity between users. This however will need the involvement of the power suppliers.

NRMA Employee

• 

5 Messages

@Wenners​ This is just a trial at this stage. I anticipate many more trials across the nation before mass adoption of the technology. 

See new item: https://www.pv-magazine-australia.com/2023/01/20/south-australia-gives-vehicle-to-grid-technology-green-light/