GordonED7's profile
Bronze user

Bronze user

• 

81 Messages

Tuesday, July 30th, 2024 7:51 AM

Home Charging in Cold Weather

After a -1C frosty night on Sunday-Monday with heavy overcast/low cloud initially enveloping the house in the morning, and eventually clearing with the temperature breaking through 5C after 11am, the battery in our LDV eDeliver 7 (88kWh battery) was very cold when I started charging after midday. After a couple of hours I noticed the State of Charge had only increased by 4%, whereas I would have normally expected an increase of about 10%, since I was charging at 4.3kW.

It appears the remainder of the energy delivered by the charger was used by the car to heat the battery. At public fast chargers battery heating is noticeable in very cold weather, but doesn't make a huge difference to charging time, since the process of charging at a high rate also heats the battery, so extra heating is only required initially, if the battery is not still warm from driving.

However, for typical home charging rates, the heating can use a significant portion of the power being delivered in very cold weather, resulting in much longer charging times being required.

Battery heating energy use is an important factor to take into account when home charging in very cold weather.

3 Messages

20 days ago

I've definitely noticed the same thing with my BYD in cold weather. It seems like the battery heating system kicks in pretty hard, especially when the battery is really cold. I've even noticed a slight decrease in range after a long cold-weather trip.

I've started preheating the cabin before charging, which seems to help a little bit with battery temperature. Have you tried that, or do you have any other tips for maximizing charging efficiency in cold weather?

Bronze user

• 

81 Messages

Yes, range is definitely lower in cold weather, in the past week of warmer weather it is clearly noticeable after some recent frosty morning and cold day driving. I keep a detailed log of travel distances and charging so I can more easily see any trends or other changes.

If parked, any loads you put on the battery such as cabin heating, or even AC cooling, will warm the battery up a little bit, but I suspect the best alternative is to keep the vehicle somewhere warm, which isn't an option for me if I need to charge in cold weather.

Charging immediately after driving in cold weather, before the battery has a chance to cool down, is a way you can take advantage of the existing battery warmth and eliminate energy losses due to internal battery heating.

Also, the faster you charge, the more the battery heats up, I often hear the battery cooling system start to operate after some time at a fast charger, especially when the battery is already warm from driving. That also uses a bit of energy, but I suspect not as much as the battery heating system.

(edited)

3 Messages

Thanks, Gordon! Good point about charging right after driving—I've found that helps too. With winter behind us and summer around the corner, at least we won’t have to worry about frosty mornings for a while. Maybe now it’s time to start tracking how the heat affects the range!

Bronze user

• 

81 Messages

>at least we won’t have to worry about frosty mornings for a while.

Except for the one this morning, and the one forecast for tomorrow ;)

At least it warmed up quickly under cloudless skies :)

I'm finding range has improved significantly in recent weeks compared to just a month ago. Since we generally travel to the same places on weekends where my wife operates a market stall, repeating each month, it's easy to compare. Of course other factors such as wind are also important, and harder to take into account unless the conditions are recorded for each drive.

New user

• 

17 Messages

15 days ago

Great observation - esp if charging in peak tariff times