NRMA_Maddie's profile
Community support

Community support

• 

25 Messages

Tuesday, August 30th, 2022 3:25 AM

What advice would you give to someone looking to buy an EV?

We'd love to start a chat with EV owners about what's involved in buying an EV. If you were advising a friend about buying one for the first time, what would you let them know? 

• What would you do different next time?
  • Any tips to prepare for owning an EV?

Thanks for sharing!

EV community admin

Accepted Solution

New user

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

If you're interested in purchasing an EV but are concerned about their range, firstly ask yourself: how much do you actually drive on average each day? Most EVs will have enough range to cover a daily commute in many circumstances which can then be 'topped up' each night before starting the next day with a 'full tank'. 

NRMA Employee

• 

16 Messages

@Ludicrous_Feed​ Hi. How often do you charge your EV across a typical week?

New user

• 

7 Messages

We plug ours in as soon as we get home. Its now as natural as locking the car, or the front door, and is quick and easy to do. Our charger is configured to only run during the day when the sun is shining (we're retired) although I can make it charge at any time.

Because we live in a rural area, I make sure the car is charged to around 80% each day, but if we lived in town and used the car for work, I think weekend soar based charging would work quite well. If not solar then it's still considerably cheaper to charge the car from the grid than to buy petrol or diesel.

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

@ShallowAl interesting to point out that you are in a rural area as there's often a misconception that EVs are only suited for city lifestyles, so it's great to hear how you've made it possible.  Do you often get asked by people in town about your EV when you are out and about?  

EV community admin

New user

• 

7 Messages

Not so much these days, but certainly a lot of interest a couple of years ago. Occaisonally get talking to someone when plugging the car in at the shopping centre chargers.

We live about 40km's from our nearest town and have no problem with range for general shopping etc. When travelling to see the family in different cities 2-6 hours away, charging on the way is a consideration but never a roadblock thanks in part to the NRMA network, but there are many others now.

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

@ShallowAl it definitely feels like there's interest for EV's but also some uncertainty for others too as there's alot of misinformation out there so often speaking to EV owners helps clear up a few things. 

Great to hear that our network has helped with some of your journeys to see family, but also that there are more charging options than before. We definitely hope that infrastructure will continue to support EV owners and their trips, especially as ownership increases too. 

EV community admin

New user

• 

14 Messages

2 years ago

I’ve convinced so many friends over the years to get an EV.  It’s mostly about dispelling all the myths that have appeared, mostly misinformation about battery life and the true carbon footprint. 

Back in 2012 when we got our first EV the conversation was always about how to deal with the limited range.  Even back then they were great for local driving.  

Now that the newer models all have extended range (our Hyundai KONA goes over 500 km on a full charge) the conversation today is about the advancing tech and future of EVs. 

we love charging our EV with the solar panels on our house.   Many chargers can now monitor the Solar use and feed it to the car when you have excess, instead of sending it back to the grid.  By doing this you can drive on 100% Solar if you choose, which is a great feeling!

As for anything we’d do differently?  Not a thing, EV ownership has been a joy for ten years and we don’t expect to ever buy a petrol car again.  

Community support

• 

25 Messages

@Jim_Hare​ we get a lot of questions about charging EVs off the grid vs renewables. Was the process of installing solar panels difficult/costly? Or has the benefit outweighed the initial investment? 

EV community admin

New user

• 

14 Messages

@NRMA_Maddie​ great question.  For us solar panels have been an obvious choice. 

If someone plans to be in a house for at least 5 years it’s a no-brainer as they generally pay themselves off in this time then give another 20 or so years of free electricity.  

Add an EV and it gets even more obvious as both petrol and electricity costs rise it hedges you from both.  

The best thing we did was install a Zappi charger that monitors the solar and only feeds electricity to the car when there is excess power that would otherwise go back to the grid.  This way you decide the percentage of solar/grid and for many months each year our car runs on 100% solar which is really cool.

The big thing I’m looking forward to is V2H (vehicle to home) where we will be able to use our EV as a power-wall to power the house at night.   Doesn’t make sense to buy a 10kW battery when we have a 64kW battery sitting in the garage. 

The process of selecting/installing the panels was easy.  Important to research and select a reputable company and then talk about your needs and budget to select the right system.   The actual installation and grid connection was quick and painless, they basically took care of it all and we just sat back and enjoyed it. 

(edited)

Community support

• 

25 Messages

Thanks @Jim_Hare! Really helpful info. We're in the process of researching for our own home and it can be overwhelming for sure but sounds worth it, particularly when factoring in an EV 😁

EV community admin

New user

• 

7 Messages

Agree with Jims comments and just wanted to reinforce the point about the payback for solar installations. I had our first solar installation done 6 or 7 years ago, soon after the high rebates were discontinued, and used my monitoring system to determine that it paid itself off in about 4 years. Since then I have increased the size of the array and bought an EV, and the payoff is incredible. Even if you make a bad choice of installers and pay way too much, and EV chargng from your solar will make the payback period quite quick.

New user

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Owning an EV can be beneficial especially with rising running costs for conventional ICE vehicles. If primary driving is urban driving, it is very easy and convenient to switch over and I find that I need to charge the vehicle once a week - typically while shopping because I live in an apartment.

NRMA Employee

• 

16 Messages

@declanscott​ How long do you need to charge your EV while shopping to help you get through the week? 

New user

• 

14 Messages

@SuzanaB​ hey Suzana, all depends on the speed of the charger and battery size.  

the JOLT chargers are 22kw so would take  between 1-3 hours from empty depending on the battery size in your car.  NRMA chargers are 85kw if I’m not mistaken so between 30-70 minutes from empty. 

But the idea is you never wait for empty so are always just topping up.  

(edited)

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

2 years ago

Find someone who has the same model EV you plan to buy (or arrange a test drive). Then take the car to the rapid charger either at Seven Hills Ampol or Zetland East Village. The 350kW chargers you find on highways have heavy & unwieldy cables. Those two chargers are the only ones in Sydney with the same heavy cables. Can you lift and twist the cable and actually get that car to charge?

For most guys it's fine. Heck, for most women it's fine. But not everyone. If you have arthritis, osteoporosis, similar conditions, or you're elderly, those cables are really hard to manage. If you can't, then you'll need to stick to slower chargers like the ones on the NRMA network, and that can mean substantially slower road trips.

And if you're buying a Volvo or a Polestar, they have really weird locking mechanisms that cause charging sessions to abort at the best of times. On those ones you need to hold the cable in place until the lock engages as the charger clicks and starts. Most other EVs engage the lock as soon as you plug it in, so if something goes wrong, you know before you try to pay for the charge. Over. And over. And over. Heaven help if they start offering PayPass/PayWave and you get hit with 10 pre-auths while trying to make it connect!

(edited)

New user

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

There so many factors that affect each individual decision so I suggest you prioritise what is critically important to you.

How often do you drive more than 200 km/day?

How much freeway driving do you do?

Are you planning on keeping the car long term?

How often you need more than two seats?

Do you need AWD?

Do you carry bulky items regularly?

Dp you want self-driving features?

Our highest priority was range. We regularly do over 500 km in a day so it was easy decision, we bought the car with longest available range, we also need All Wheel Drive so that really narrowed the field.

We really could not do anything differently as there still is no better option available but I really wish I had known that the rated range is fictional and freeway range is about half. Our car was rated as having 620km range but travelling the Hume at 110km/h we get about 330km.

We installed large solar system before we bought the car which made sense to us as the solar system costs much less, gives immediate benefit every day and when we got the car we could start charging for free during sunlight hours. We also have our EV charger connected to Off-Peak meter so if have to charge overnight it is at a lower cost.

The best tip I can offer is know what you need. Typically all new EVs have functional daily range which allows home charging overnight. Lower range is typically lower purchase price so only buy what what you need.

New user

• 

23 Messages

@EViking​  Agree, identifying what your needs are and then researching what is out there is key.  I live in a regional town, and often travel to Sydney and Melbourne. The Kona long range looked the closest fit for all my requirements and it has a published "WLTP" of 484k. I knew it would not achieve that with prolonged highway driving but until I had done those trips several times, had no idea what it would achieve (turns out around 400k). However, I also learned that it did not matter all that much. I have never actually used anywhere near that range, and have only filled it to 100% once, as an experiment. I can get most places easily on an 80% charge, toping up a few times as I go.  

New user

• 

3 Messages

@EViking​ what EV do you own if you don't mind me asking?

We regularly do freeway driving of 700kms (exactly) in a day  and I'm concerned about the "true" mileage we'll get as I only want to charge once... which means range has to be in comfortably in excess of 350km pending charging location. 

For folk who have the KONA -- what is the charge time? This is another factor for me as I don't want to add too much time to a long day's drive which we do fortnightly.

New user

• 

27 Messages

That's a good question.

Let's see about working out an answer - what is the route, suburb to suburb?

Secondly, do you take any breaks in this drive between these two points?

We can use https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ (ABRP) to plot the drive including charge stops, and specify an arrival battery %age.

You can create test plans in ABRP using a free account, which will give you a great approximation of how each EV will handle that route for charging, etc. It can also make use of bluetooth OBD to gather live data on your EV's performance, so you can better guage your safe/risky routes with regards to time and consumption.

(edited)

New user

• 

14 Messages

@chalky​  charge time is a big one.  I drove Sydney to Melbourne and back in our Kona and the charge time was longer than expected.   350kw chargers were good and could charge the Kona close to 75kwh but the 50kw chargers always seemed slow, like around 35kwh. 

One mistake I made was getting impatient and stopping charging too soon.   I knew it meant more stops than needed but felt it was more important to keep moving.   But in reality the switchover time , additional route deviations to get to chargers, or the risk of chargers being occupied means if I do it again I’ll definitely wait at each charger longer and get more range.

I did really enjoy making the drive a more significant part of the journey by stopping in all these little one pub towns to charge.  Much more enjoyable than filling up for three minutes and jumping back on the road.  But that assumes you have the time to be leisurely.  😎

New user

• 

3 Messages

Thanks @Jim_Hare I can absolutely envision myself getting impatient and moving on ;) I think once we nail down the regular charging spots, we can make the most of them we get used to it. I'm certainly not loving filling up twice. We have a hybrid so it's 40km range is rather unhelpful! 

How long does it take you in those two scenarios -- 75kwh and the slow 50/35kwh? 

New user

• 

27 Messages

2 years ago

I'd advise any EV owner, and prospective EV owners with two pieces of advice:

1. Do your research before you buy, and engage politely with other users
  2. Don't post pictures of your new EV in plugshare.

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

@A_Tesla_in_Newcastle great points. Our EV community was founded for that same purpose with like minded EV owners and drivers interested in EVs - as well our ongoing EV drive days. 

Interested to hear more about your experience with point 2 though. 

EV community admin

New user

• 

27 Messages

Point 2's a safety/security consideration.

Enough pictures of the same car builds a plethora of information about that car and the owner for motivated groups or individuals to hobble or harm.

New user

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Best advice is book as many test drives as you can. Know what your driving habits are before you go and know what your budget is, but make sure you consider budget as total cost of ownership over the period of time you intend to keep the vehicle.

New user

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

This is what I tend to tell people...

• IT'S JUST ANOTHER CAR! You'll get over the oogie boogie stuff pretty quickly.
  • You'll lose weight, as you won't be buying the 2 for 1 Mars Bars at servos any more.
  • Yes, you'll pay more than a regular petrol car (for the next few years). Accept this & the whole process is much easier.
  • You'll never get the perfect car (as we're being drip fed makes & models), but the cars on offer are perfectly fine.
  • It's actually a really good feeling when educating friends & family about EVs, when you're an early adopter.
  • Yes, there'll be a whole bunch of people that will drive you crazy with weird conspiracy theories & complete apathy.
  • You'll do the vast majority of charging at home, when you're asleep (so buy a proper home charger if you own your own home). You only need 30 seconds (or less) to plug the car in when you get home.
  • While the network catches up with the driver requirements, you need to plan out your long drives a little more, but in reality it's just a change of habit.

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

@Stevens thanks for sharing. I love your points, especially that it's just another car, albeit some different planning challenges sometimes needed, but overall cheaper in the long rung. Sure the upfront cost is more, but something we hope to decrease as more models continue to arrive and production continues. With EV chargers being installed at Ampol locations, the 2 for 1 temptation might make a comeback, although not as such as regular visit. 

Interestingly there is lots of misinformation and objections from some who see EVs as a threat, however I think the approach should be for the driver to do their own research and see whether an EV is the right choice now or in the future. Has there been a common misconception/ concern that keeps coming up? 

EV community admin

New user

• 

40 Messages

@NRMA_Paul​ the most common question I get is "How do you charge it?". When I say "Any power point, though it is slow", there's a general look of surprise. There's too much emphasis on fast charging times - yes, important for road trips, but for most people they will just charge overnight at home.

There are also the "I can't drive from Melbourne to Sydney without stopping" people. And yes, if you do 10+ hours driving each day, EVs aren't for you yet.

New user

• 

6 Messages

Just the usual misconceptions.

For most people, they'll only do it when it reaches price parity (weird how they don't do it for other things) & they are so in debt already the idea of buying another vehicle is not even worth worrying about right now.

Resist the 2 for 1, people!

The No 1 goal is to get these things in front of people where they don't expect to see them (i,e Westfields, community events etc) and have a makeshift show & shine. Open doors, boots, frunks etc breaks down the 'untouchable' feeling & people will check them out & ask questions. The wife & I have done this & it works a treat.

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

@Stevens good points indeed. We agree and our EV Drive Days have been successful in the sense that it brings EVs to people who may not be able to see one, but also in a place where a test drive is possible ( without a sales pitch) as well as chat to experts around charging. We'll be looking to doing more events over the next 12 months, but also letting people know that switching to an EV is not a forced option, but one to keep in mind if it suits your lifestyle too. 

EV community admin

New user

• 

40 Messages

2 years ago

We've owned a first generation LEAF and a Hyundai Ioniq 2020. We decided not to buy another Nissan when the battery degraded and the replacement cost was way too high - a pity, as we loved that car. We almost didn't buy the Ioniq due to the bar across the back window, but a second test drive made us comfortable - we don't notice it now.

The Ioniq is a great car. We charge about once a week, either during the day from solar or off-peak overnight. We used to use a 15A charger, but now have a 7kW 32A charger, so a full charge is only about 7h. We typically charge at 30% (90km) and limit to 80% (240km). You don't need a 32A circuit and 7kW charger, but it is nice.

Charging is trivial - just plug it in and the car does the rest. You won't regret not having to stop at service stations, though you still need to check your tyre pressures occasionally - the Ioniq does this for you.

The Ioniq has two "last generation" issues that I would try to avoid if I were in the market for a new car:

• The CCS fast charge is limited to 50kW - modern chargers can supply up to 350kW
  • The type 2 socket is limited to 7kW single phase - some newer cars handle up to 22kW three phase

These don't matter at all for home use, but are helpful in road trips. Both are updated in the Ioniq 5.

The 311km range of the Ioniq is great and very realistic on typical roads, though it drops to about 270km at constant 110km/h.

With the current 150-200km between fast chargers, a road trip (e.g. Sydney to Melbourne) requires a bit of planning. An extra 100km of range would remove a lot of the "We need to stop at the next charger" concern. We had no issues doing that trip in July and had minimal waits mid-week.

Once you've driven electric, you won't want to go back. Quiet, instant acceleration - just a better experience. And no petrol station fumes.

(edited)

New user

• 

3 Messages

@gordonr​ we also have an 2020 Ioniq and love it too.  Before buying, my biggest concern was the the modest battery size and hence limited range.  But, I reasoned this would be our ‘town’ car and we could use our ICE second car for long trips.

However, when planning a trip from Melbourne to Brisbane in late 2020, my family just presumed we would be in the EV.  (That’s because they didn’t understand the difficulties, silly them).  But my thinking was challenged.  I sat down with PlugShare and realised it was possible in the Ioniq.  

I chose an inland route via Dubbo, made possible by the network of NRMA chargers existing at the time.  There were several legs of just over 200 km, but I was gaining confidence in the car so took the punt.  No looking back now!

The only ‘sweaty’ section was from Tamworth to Glen Innes , being over 200 km and a significant climb, but in the end we made it comfortably enough. (This is before the Armidale NRMA charger).

We now use the Ioniq for all our trips as a matter of course, and simply have to plan out the how bit.  So far we have done a number of trips into regional VIC and to the Barossa.

On the highway, our range can be 270km or more at 100km/hr but would drop to around 240 km? at 110km/hr.  These ranges can drop further in cold weather or head winds.

Our long term consumption has been 13.1 kWh/100km for mostly suburban driving.  Allowing for charging loss, that is about 15 kWh/100km overall.

Our driving is mostly suburban though and the range is always sufficient - but it is still important to check the ‘tank’ and charge if necessary.  Some forward planning Is still necessary - or you may have to search out a local fast charger!

At home we already had solar panels, so I bought a zappi charger.  For 8 months of the year our day to day car charging needs are almost completely met from daytime solar charging.

Finally, if I can offer one piece of advice to those considering an EV purchase….. Range Anxiety is doubtless prominent in your thinking right now.  As you gain familiarity with your EV and confidence in its capabilities, that anxiety will fade into the background.

(edited)

New user

• 

27 Messages

Have you tried using A Better Route Planner?
You're able to Input your vehicle details, and if you have a bluetooth enabled OBD scanner you can connect the app to the data stream for accurate live data to help you nail-down your safe, and risky margins for any trip.

New user

• 

3 Messages

Yes, another EV owner I met at a charging station introduced me to ABRP.  I found it a bit more complex initially but more powerful as a route planner than PlugShare.

However, I haven’t tried the OBD scanner option. Do you find the live data useful?

New user

• 

27 Messages

Sorry for the late reply!

I haven't been able to test in an ioniq yet, so I can't say how it will perform. I'll test in a tesla soon with a bluetooth OBD & wiring loom adaptor.

Have you been able to try it yourself? Bluetooth OBD's are relatively cheap, and most cars have a port available.

New user

• 

40 Messages

2 years ago

My biggest wish - NRMA would work with the various companies to unify the fast chargers so you could use any with one app or card. I'd even consider a small premium.

Having to have the right app and mobile connectivity is a huge disincentive - I've helped quite a few new EV owners get the right app for the charger they are standing in front of.

(edited)

New user

• 

27 Messages

@gordonr​ But, the helping is good - right?

New user

• 

40 Messages

Oh, definitely. I really enjoy talking with EV owners at chargers. But, this is friction we don't need.

One Polestar owner I chatted to at Golburn put it well - EVs don't have a range issue (mostly), it's a time issue. The fact that you can charge from any power point is highly under-rated.

(edited)

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

@gordonr one point that is not often raised at all around charging from a power point. For lots of drivers, it's hard for them to see how this would work as they are set in their ways, but tech can only improve and has to start somewhere. 

EV community admin

New user

• 

40 Messages

@NRMA_Paul​ yep. I'm very clear that charging from a standard power point is sloooowww, but it's feasible and for people with garages or carports, they have all night. Obviously, this doesn't help people in units or with on-street parking, but it does help a lot of people.

New user

• 

23 Messages

I still find people are very surprised that you CAN actually just plug your car into a normal powerpoint. There seems to be a belief that you MUST install a special charger. If they look half interested, I then explain that yes, it would take a long time to charge my battery from zero, but just as they usually don't run their petrol tank dry, I don't run my battery dry either, and it's actually trivial for me to top up whenever I am not using the car (which is most of the time), rather than having to go down to the petrol station.  However, I am lucky to live in a house with reliable wiring and a plug in the garage.