NRMA_Paul's profile
Bronze user

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

Sunday, August 18th, 2024 11:00 PM

How to save money owning an EV

Whether you're a new EV owner or a seasoned electric driver, there are several strategies to help you cut costs and make the most of your EV experience – and help close the gap on any extra outlay purchasing an EV.  Here are some handy tips to save when charging at home or on the road:

• Switch your electricity plan: Many energy providers offer specific plans tailored for EV owners. For example, some plans allow free charging during certain hours, typically at night, when demand is low. Engie's Night Saver plan is one such option, offering free charging during off-peak times.

• Time-of-Use tariffs: Consider opting for a time-of-use tariff, where the cost of electricity varies throughout the day. This way, you can charge your EV when electricity is cheapest, often during off-peak hours. For example, Kia EV6 owner Greg charges during off-peak rates at his apartment block.
  • Membership discounts: If you're a member of a motoring association like NRMA, you might be eligible for discounts at certain charging stations. For example, NRMA members can enjoy a 10% EV discount on charging at blue NRMA-owned chargers when using the MyNRMA app, and similar discounts apply with the Chargefox network when using the Chargefox app.
  • Accommodation with charging facilities: When planning a road trip, look for accommodations that offer EV charging. Many hotels and motels now include this as an amenity, which can save you both time and money. Booking apps often have filters to help you find such places, and you can also seek out NRMA Parks and Resorts with complimentary EV charging.

Plus heaps more savings, which we've listed here

Do you have any tips that have helped you save on EV costs? 

EV community admin

3 Messages

20 days ago

Those are excellent tips! I've been thinking about installing solar panels at home to take advantage of the free energy from the sun. I've heard that using a smart EV charger with solar panels can be incredibly cost-effective, especially during peak sunlight hours. Have you tried that, or do you have any experience with solar charging?

Bronze user

• 

82 Messages

When it isn't too cloudy I charge at home from solar PV and batteries, off-grid. If cloudy and I really need to charge I'll use the backup generator to supplement the PV. I can vary the charging rate to suit the available solar energy, up to the max my vehicle will charge at on single phase AC, 6.6kW @230V, although I get a bit more - 6.8kW, due to having the inverter output set to 240VAC.

I don't have a smart charger, it's not necessary in my situation, and they cost a lot more- I just manually start or end charging, keeping an eye on the weather.

I'm planning on adding some more PV panels and increasing my battery size, so as to be less reliant on sunny weather.