C
New user

New user

• 

38 Messages

Thursday, December 22nd, 2022 7:40 PM

2700 km road trip to NSW

Ok so we have just completed a 2000 return road trip from Brisbane via the New England highway to Coonabarabran and return. I must say it was a very pleasant experience using the NRMA DC fast chargers. With the only hiccup being the Tamworth DC charger on the way down, that was out of order, so we decided to break journey for the night there.

I was worried about having to wait at some chargers and this would add to the total trip but every town we went to we did not have to wait and the charger was readily available. I even decided to venture out to Coonamble and visit the town (because the charger was there) infact 2 modern 75 kw chargers. 

I hope NRMA are also planning to add some backups in future years where there only one charger available in town as some chargers are out of order for months. 

On one day I decided to venture to a small town Merrygoen from Coonabarabran in my little 28kw Ioniq. With a 100% battery I ventured down however on the way back up to Coona I started getting range anxiety as I had to come back up the hill, however going slow (80km/h) on the back road back to Coona I made it with 10% battery using ABRP as a guide. 

Can NRMA please consider smaller (cheaper) 25kw DC chargers at these small towns? Such as Mendooran, Merrygoen, Dunedoo, Binnaway, Werris Creek (50kw perhaps) as it is currently a blackspot it will help with a quick top up to get back to the main town(s).

Also Gilgandra between Dubbo and Coona would be perfect for a couple of DC fast chargers for motorists like me who have a smaller battery and will suffer range anxiety between these towns.

And for the best part of the 2750kms total distance travelled, cost of fuel $0. I will be very happy with pay to use this service, just waiting for NRMA to start charging,

Thankyou NRMA for a wonderful road trip to Western NSW, will do it more in the future hopefully with more chargers around.

New user

• 

49 Messages

2 years ago

@clayton4115  Well done, and thanks for sharing.
That's an impressive trip with a 28kWh battery capacity.
Makes me feel like a real wuss :)

(edited)

New user

• 

38 Messages

@Mal_P2​ Don't know what car you got but it is worth it, the car was beautiful to drove and didn't miss a beat. 

New user

• 

49 Messages

@clayton4115​  I've got a Polestar 2 and love it.
I'm yet to meet any owner of any EV model that hasn't loved their car :)

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

@clayton4115 what a great trip and I'm glad our charger helped along the way. Yes, we are looking at adding more chargers to existing single stall sites, especially as uptake continues for EVs. 

NRMA is planning the next roll out of charger designs, sites and locations. We will share these plans in the coming year, but I agree a site in Gilgandra would also be perfect too. We'll pass on the suggestion, but also hope you are planning your next road trip already. 

EV community admin

New user

• 

38 Messages

@Mal_P2​ Nice, I saw a couple of Polestars pass me on the highway on our trip. 

New user

• 

38 Messages

@NRMA_Paul​ Great news, yes love travelling inland NSW, really missing the chargers at Moree and Narrabri, but hopefully 2023 will the year and I will visit those towns as well once installed. :-)