B
New user

New user

• 

11 Messages

Monday, January 16th, 2023 1:30 AM

Charging queues set to drive change as EV road trips surge | smh.com.au

Found this article pretty interesting and scary at the same time...

https://www.smh.com.au/national/charging-queues-set-to-drive-change-as-ev-road-trips-surge-20230115-p5ccn1.html

Did anyone do any road trips over the recent holidays and experience the same or notice an uptick in drivers? 

Bronze user

• 

72 Messages

2 years ago

I drove from Canberra to Adelaide over the Christmas/New Year period. Our first stop at Tarcutta (Evie 350 kW) was quite busy. New EV drivers charging to 100%, etc. When we arrived, there were four cars (two charging, two waiting) present. The wait was about 35 minutes. I felt a sense of dread on arrival, but then saw the bright side -- there are so many people confident to take their EVs on long road trips! All publicity is good publicity, right?

This set me up to be a bit nervous about queues for the rest of the trip, but it was fine after we got away from the Sydney-Melbourne traffic. Our return journey over the Hay Plain was only made possible thanks to the series of NRMA chargers through that part of NSW and we only encountered a short wait at Wagga Wagga.

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

That's a good way to look at the positive bje. For lots of people, they see EVs as city cars so it does open their eyes when they see or hear about these trips. We're glad that our chargers also helped with the trip too. Placing these in regional locations was really important as we want people to also plan trips and visit these places too. Hopefully you are planning your next adventure. 

EV community admin

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

2 years ago

Hi Brybro..... I have copied this comment from another topic where I had posted.

About a month ago I got back from an EV ~7000 km road-trip from Wollongong to Port Douglas & return over the Xmas Season using only the Chargefox Chargers along the East Coast since have a subscription with that network. Detoured via Murwillumbah, Nimbin and Lismore on our way back. Thankfully mostly all went well and I didn't run out or had to limp to a charger. Only queued at Pt Macquarie[NSW], Carmila[QLD] both times & Rockhampton[QLD] once. Nearly all of the older 50kW Tritium Chargers in QLD that worked were running at only 75% capacity, thus adding another 25% to charge times which then impacted on others waiting to charge. A few negotiations had to be done at some of the busy chargers in 36 degs heat!  I have ~400 km range car so tried to go to 100% when other users weren't around. Had Long Range EV's at charges who charged mostly to 80% then moved on. Found a few people who stuck to their original charge plan & wouldn't change. Remember, if you're first at the charger you're in the box seat. I was disappointed at the number of people who hadn't heard about plugshare & the ones who did, couldn't be bothered to check-in and or post feedback regarding the charger. Sounds like it's more of a petrol mentality, just turn-up and charge.  All I can say is Plan! Plan! Plan!........ and maybe don't go over the Xmas Hols like I did or other hols. But it's doable and I'm glad we did it!! Recommend road trips to all. Met mostly happy other EV owners in different makes & models.

New user

• 

11 Messages

@Enforcer​ Hi Enforcer. i like reading about peoples experience here at home so thank you for this. Thats a long trip you were able to accomplish! its encouraging to hear this was doable but sounds like extra planning is needed which makes sense in a new type of car. I travelled down south with the wife and kids (only have a petrol car) for the hols and saw more EVs than usual along the way which was cool (kids like the teslas). More chargers and more to be done to help ev drivers but highly recommend road trips in whatever car of course! Thanks for sharing.