NRMA_Paul's profile
Bronze user

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

Wednesday, September 28th, 2022 6:39 AM

Are fluctuating fuel prices a consideration for car owners to make the switch to electric?

As the fuel excise reduction ends at Midnight today, do you think that rising fuel costs will accelerate the uptake of electric vehicles? Keen to hear thoughts on running costs benefits for EV owners compared to their ICE vehicles and whether fuel costs were a deciding factor.

EV community admin

Bronze user

• 

52 Messages

2 years ago

Hi Paul,

I'm sure a number of people would be thinking more about an EV when fuel prices go up & I'm certain some will buy an EV. I've spoken to some who have fuel efficient ICE when the fuel prices first went up. They said if they were to go to a Fully EV it would be a VERY big decision, fuel alone is not the only factor. They would sooner get a Hybrid. Didn't help at the same time when some charger rates went up from 40 cents to 60 cents!, which thus negated some of the EV running cost benefits. We all know it's cheaper to charge at home[if one can] compared to the Network Chargers, unless you are able to access the NRMA Chargers which incredibly are still for Free. Unfortunately like most I also have a couple of ICE vehicles since I can't use the EV for all purposes. So I just have to try and make do with the rising fuel prices.

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

@Enforcer that's a really good point you've raised around Hybrids and how they are seen as an intermediate step between ICE and EV. Popular models like the Toyota RAV-4 are in high demand still, but I agree that running costs is not often the sole decider too. 

We are definitely looking to payment options to use our network, with one-off payments and discounted rates for NRMA Members moving forward. I know the team are working  on this now, but also have read lots of owners expect to pay for usage of the network moving forward. We'll be sure to announce changes way in advance too. 

EV community admin