V

Thursday, May 16th, 2024 7:48 AM

Uphill range anxiety

I’m travelling in NSW Australia and want to climb over the mountains from the coast at Batemans Bay to get to Canberra. 700 metres elevation in 30 km. Any tips? 

Bronze user

• 

82 Messages

4 months ago

Drive up hills a bit more slowly, don't maintain your flat roads speed. No hard accelerations up hills, and keep an eye on your instantaneous and average kWh/100km (or km/kWh if you prefer).

I don't know about your vehicle, but I don't appear to get any regen when going down hills in cruise control, so I turn that off when regen is a possibility.

Use ABRP to plan your route which will give a general indication of what range to expect, and where you can charge. The NRMA chargers at Braidwood could be useful for you.

3 Messages

@GordonED7​ 

Thank you so much Gordon. That is brilliant advice. ABRP tells me it will take 57% of battery power. I am reassured that my MGEVZS will get me up the mountain as I apply the driving method you advise. I’ll probably still feel a little anxious but nevertheless - that’s just me! Cheers. 

Bronze user

• 

82 Messages

Let us know how it goes, I'm interested to see how close ABRP is to reality for other vehicles.

Unfortunately they don't have my vehicle in their selection list, so I'm fudging the variables - load, speed, battery degradation etc, with a VW IDBuzz 90kWh, and can get it fairly close much of the time.

3 Messages

Hi Gordon, 

I’m back home after a very successful 1600 km return trip. The car performed much better than my understanding of the prediction. I only used about 30% over 60 km  with an approx. 600 metre rise which is only about 10% more than I would have used on the flat. 2 passengers with luggage as well. Perfect weather conditions. So I am reassured. I’m very happy with the cars performance. Thank you for your communications. 

Bronze user

• 

82 Messages

Great to hear of your successful trip :)

One thing in ABRP that can have a big impact on energy use is the settings for speed. The default speed and % of that for used for driving calculations may well have been a significant overstatement of what is possible up Clyde Mountain for sensible drivers :) That would result in less energy use than predicted by the app.