R
New user

New user

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, March 23rd, 2023 10:31 PM

MG ? HS + EV OR ZSEV

We are looking at moving to EV but costs are high. Has anyone purchased an MG. We would like your opinion on whether you like the form and function of the car. The ride. The ease of use and charging. Any problems encountered. The dealership support you have received with your issues and if the problem was resolved to your satisfaction. 

Also not sure if we go pure EV or transition to a hybrid. We do a lot locally in our area so the 63 klm range of the hybrid should be ok if we remember to recharge when in garage. This would be better environmentally. The backup of petrol for the occasional long distance would be good but I wonder if the fuel usage of 1.7 lts per kilometer are correct. In fact we may replace two vehicles so should I go pure EV on both or one and one. 

thank you all who take the time to respond. Let’s hope that EV is the answer to a better future. 

New user

• 

10 Messages

1 year ago

If most of your usage is local and you can charge at home then I'd say EV would be fine. The longer range of the hybrid may only be an advantage for a few years, while the charger role out gets up to speed. I've gone EV and had no issues. The only trips I do are to Canberra, occasionally (250kms), and the Atto 3 can do that without a recharge (if necessary but I prefer to pick up 10 to 15% of recharge along the way).

Bronze user

• 

72 Messages

1 year ago

Don't be nervous -- an EV will suit you fine! A plug-in hybrid is the worst of both worlds: an EV with a short range and the maintenance requirements of an ICE car.

New user

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

I've had my MG EV for only a few weeks, at this stage I'm very happy. I drive in ECO range to extend battery range.  Super quiet, smooth on the road, all the safety features in the Essence. 

I drive from Liverpool to Wollongong, Eastern Creek, Parramatta and Homebush, plus a weekly trip to the Central Coast. So I can safely say it's battery range is adequate for small regional trips.  I bought the cheapest EV in Australia as a trial, with a 7 yr warranty I can then look at better/improved cars in 7 years time.  With the price of fuel at the moment, I'd happily have 2 EV's at home and never have to look at the price of fuel  at a service station again. 

I've installed Solar Panels and a Tesla Battery at home, the home charger can choose to charge only from the solar panels and not accept power from the Grid , so far this has meant Nil cost to charge.  

The body of the MG is very soft. I imagine any slight bump or collision will result in big dents in the Duco.  But understandable when you look at its price.  

New user

• 

30 Messages

@rita​ I had a PHEV Holden Volt for a couple years bought used in early 2018 as a stop-gap and sold in late 2019 when I got a long range Hyundai Kona. I would only suggest a used PHEV now if there is not yet a full battery EV that suits you for price, style or features. Don't add another ICE to the fleet! 

We have had no problem with a long-range (>400km) battery EV being our only car since 2019. When I had the Volt, I learned that one trip out of town would be as many km as many weeks or even months of local driving. Once the pure battery range of 60-70km had run out, our Volt used 5.5L/100km on the highway, worse than our last non-plug-in car, a 2014 VW petrol manual Golf. 

New user

• 

4 Messages

@rita​ 

great response. You have done everything we are thinking of. Many thanks for taking the time to write and give us advice. 

New user

• 

4 Messages

@PeterCa​ 

thanks for that info. I agree and was wondering what the usage would be with dry battery. They quote 1.5 ltr/100 but feel it would be more without battery. 

New user

• 

30 Messages

@RitaCorias​ I think the quoted 1.7L/100km assumes a very optimistic mix of mostly running on battery power charged from the wall and only occasionally deriving the energy for driving from petrol. One way to think of it is that if we had never plugged in the Volt we would have got 5.5L/100km. That was one of the problems with PHEVs. Some, especially those that were bought by businesses and used by multiple drivers, were never plugged in. They might as well have been plain, ordinary, non-plug-in hybrids.

If we had only ever used the Volt for local driving and diligently plugged it in every time we got home, we would have used almost no petrol. As it happens, for our particular mix of local driving and some trips out of town with diligent plugging in whenever we could, we got 2.2L/100km averaged over the two years we had the Volt. You could do a bit better or a lot worse (anywhere between almost zero and 5.5) depending on your particular mix of local and longer trips. 

I would recommend a used PHEV for someone on a tight budget with easy ability to charge at home (an ordinary power point where you park is enough) and mostly doing local driving.

If at all possible, though, I'd recommend stretching to a fully 100% battery EV.

(edited)

New user

• 

4 Messages

@PeterCa​ 

thought that might be the case. Can’t see 1.7 without mixed use of battery petrol. I agree going full EV. What’s the point of saving environment if we still have ICE. Also charger rollout won’t happen until we all get onboard. Then they’ll have to put on. Even if servos start plug in parking lots for cars with cafes attached. Has to happen. Thanks so much for advice. Seriously looking at full time EV. Looking at Tesla 3 as it’s probably biggest car (medium sedan) at most reasonable price with great and fast responding tech. Nice EV cars out there but some are just beyond reach in price.