B
New user

New user

• 

1 Message

Monday, September 12th, 2022 2:40 AM

I don't like EV's

I love my Ford Falcon & as  I have not driven that far in the last couple of years it has very low mileage 110,000 Kms. I am moving towards retirement, I expect my Falcon to keep going for a number of years.

I believe what the ACT Government is doing is wrong & the NRMA should be pushing against it. Why should I pay extra to cover costs in additional Rego fees to cover free registration for EV's.

Can you leave your vehicle at a charging station all day & not pay parking fees or  when you have finished charging do you have to move you vehicle & pay the normal parking fees?

I believe we have jumped on the EV far to soon If I had to replace My For or my wife's car it would be for an ICE vehicle.  Has anyone given any thought to what will happen to service stations & their staff They would no longer be viable. I expect they will start losing their value over the next few years & many owners will looking at getting rid of them as they start losing their value.

New user

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

On your last point. I dont see why service stations (& staff) should be closing down. In fact service stations moved from petrol only to shopping centres many years ago. At the present time EV's stay at charging stations far longer than ICE vehicles do at petrol pumps so service stations have more opportunity to capture the wallets of those owners with "services" such as food/car care/magazines etc. The only issue is that service stations have still not "seen the light" of bored EV owners wanting to drag out their wallets.

Charger providers are still coming to terms with the "parking" arrangement for EV's. Tesla for example charge an "idle fee" for cars parked but finished charging. Councils have still not fleshed out legislation to allow parking officers to issue fines for non-charging vehicles in charging spots, although in some places the parking is charged for regardless of your use of the charger.

New user

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

While I respect people’s opinion, and can understand your preferences, it might be worth further investigation on your part. Maybe try an EV on a test drive. Now might be a good time to consider switching to one while your current car is still worth something.

Bronze user

• 

246 Messages

2 years ago

@BigJohn thanks for being so honest and sharing your views. There's no reason why you should feel you need to sell your current vehicle if you are happy with it though. We do see EVs as offering a further choice for motorists with car manufacturing looking to eventually cease production of petrol and diesel vehicles so it's important to ensure we have the infrastructure and policies in place now for the future. There's lots of discussion and views around EVs ( and this is a good place to speak to EV owners and ask more questions), but ultimately it's a personal choice around what suits you best. 

(edited)

New user

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Big John.

If your Falcon meets your needs now and into the future, then keep it and enjoy your motoring.  The NRMA has recognised that the future of motoring is not with ICE vehicles and the transition away to emissions free transportation is going to happen at an ever increasing rate.  The NRMA are leading the way with providing charging infrastructure across NSW, ACT, VIC and SA to allow EV owners to travel throghout regional and rural areas.  

In regards to the NRMA pushing back against what the ACT Government regarding registering of ICE vehicles that would be foolish and a backward step.  The ACT Gov't is practically acknowledging what is occurring in the EU and other jurisdictions that are imposing similar bans on ICE vehicles.  All other States and Territory and contemplating similar bans.  This also falls into lines with several of the major car manufacturers who have also announced self imposed bans on production of ICE vehicles post 2030.

Other people have covered your concerns regarding service stations, but one observations, it would provide a perfect oppportunity for service stations to capture the EV market as well by installing Fast chargers at their facilities, which a number have already done, including BP, Ampol and Puma to mention a few.  

Regards

kjd18468

NRMA Employee

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks @BigJohn  for the comments, and agree the Ford Falcon is a great car and future classic.

Regarding service stations, what we are seeing in the UK is the emergence of 'Electric Forecourts' which is helping drive the uptake of EVs.  This site in Norwich hosts 36 charging stations (some are ultra-fast 350kW chargers), and offers refreshments and relaxation facilities. A service station reinvented for EVs, I guess!